How Many Tetra... 14 Litre Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

peglegg

Reaction score
how many tetra can i put in a 14litre tank?

can i mix up different kind of tetra? (i want to stick to same sort of size, ie neon, cardinal, rummy nose, black stripe, glow light etc)

also, all but one of my old tetra died from neon tetra disease, but i have successfully treated the last one :) how long should i wait before giving him some friends - he doesn't seem too lonely and happily swims about in the open etc.

thank you!

you can only fit ember tetras in their, its to small for anything else, your better off sticking with dwarf rasboras and ember tetras. stick with the same species too.

14 litres is too small for any type of tetra. the only thing you should use a tank that size for is shrimp or snails, no tetra should be living in a small tank like that.

thanks for the advice guys :)

only problem is, i only have space for this tank, and i already have the one neon... what should i do?

i read that per 1gallon you can keep 1 inch of fish. does this not mean i can get another 2 neon tetras as they are only and inch long?

i am worried this neon will get lonely on his own...he does have 2 shrimp for company... but its not really the same.

thanks

There no cure for neon tetra desease. Also you are meant to destroy all the neons if one has ntd.
I would wait and see what happens with the other neon as they tank needs striping down and steralising and all the equipment.

i read that per 1gallon you can keep 1 inch of fish. does this not mean i can get another 2 neon tetras as they are only and inch long?

The 1inch per gallon is only a guide its not set in stone.

Mike

Even small tetra shouldn\t be kept in anything less than a 10 gallon as there shoaling fish.

I would maybe think of keeping a betta when you have stripped the tank down.
Look into a fishless cycle.

I would think of buying another tank. A starting tank in fish keeping is usually ten gal. But bigger the better.

There no cure for neon tetra desease. Also you are meant to destroy all the neons if one has ntd.
I would wait and see what happens with the other neon as they tank needs striping down and steralising and all the equipment.

i have bought a veterinary medicine called protozin and when i started using it my fish got it's colour back and has become much more perky. that is for treating fungal disease. sorry, but it seems to have worked as a cure for my fish!

it is not fair to put neons in a tank this size, you could get away with 6 ember tetras.

thanks, but that doesnt actually answer my question im afraid. it doesnt solve the problem of the tetra i have at the moment!

You can buy that med at the lfs.
Sure they didn't die of bad water quality.
There no cure for ntd.

Even small tetra shouldn\t be kept in anything less than a 10 gallon as there shoaling fish.

I would maybe think of keeping a betta when you have stripped the tank down.
Look into a fishless cycle.

I would think of buying another tank. A starting tank in fish keeping is usually ten gal. But bigger the better.

unfortunately, as i said, i physically dont have space for a larger tank as i live in just one room.

i will look into getting a betta fish... but for now i still have the problem of the neon tetra that i already have :S

i have bought a veterinary medicine called protozin and when i started using it my fish got it's colour back and has become much more perky. that is for treating fungal disease. sorry, but it seems to have worked as a cure for my fish!

it is not fair to put neons in a tank this size, you could get away with 6 ember tetras.

thanks, but that doesnt actually answer my question im afraid. it doesnt solve the problem of the tetra i have at the moment!

Rehome the current tetra (once you are 100% sure it is free of disease) and get something suitable for the tank.

Regards
Mike

Once you added substrate, heater, ornaments, plants, there not much room left for the fish.

The tanks to small so you don't hardly have much choice in fish.

Research the fish before you buy.

Even small fish need room to swim to be happy.

You could get a betta for that tank size.

Did the neons have fluffy cotton wool on them. As thats false ntd which is saddleback columnaris.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back