How Many Fish Can I Add After A Fishless Cycle?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BeNoM

Reaction score
Hi,
I have jsut finished a fishless cycle. At the moment, I can put in 3ppm of ammonia in the morning and by the afternoon ammonia and nitrites will register as 0.

How can I work out how many fish i can put in at once?.. or in other words, does anyone here know how much ammonia fish actually produce?

Tank volume - 100L
Planned stock - Tetras, Dwarf gouramis, catfish etc.

Thanks very much for any responses in advance.

Regards,
Ben.

3ppm is a good amount of ammonia. I would say 3 to 4 small fish. Then in a week add 2 or 3 more.

Just wondering how long did your cycle take?

3ppm is a good amount of ammonia. I would say 3 to 4 small fish. Then in a week add 2 or 3 more.

Thanks. I thought it would be more fish that :(

Took almost exactly 4 weeks to be registering 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

Thanks. I thought it would be more fish that :(

Took almost exactly 4 weeks to be registering 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

I was always under the impression that 3ppm of Ammonia would be alot more than most fish would produce in a fully stocked tank, is this not the case? When I done mine, I added 6 a week until fully stocked but im pretty sure you could add more.

Mike

ooOOoo the numbers are going up! I like it!. Judging by that link (thanks Pickle!) I can at least half stock the tank :D

Awwwesome off to the fish shop tomorrow!

Thanks very much guys.

I agree that 3ppm is more then most fish produce. But I always like to be on the safe side and slowly add. But many people add all the fish at once after a fishless
Cycle. I just feel better addind slowly since the tank is not mature and can still be a bit unstable.

Also I think it depends on the fish you wish keep cichlids and plecos being poopy fish you know.

After we were done fishless cycling our 29gallon.... We fully stocked it and had absolutely no problems.
What you listed, all of those fish sound like pretty low waste producers, so you would probably be just fine adding most if not all of them straight away.

Thanks all for the excellent responses. After speaking to quite a few people now who fully stock their tanks after a fishless cycle using ammonia, i decided to push the limits a bit..

Yesterday, after a test to make sure that the ammonia from the last dosage had been consumed, I added to my tank the following (at 4:00pm):

3 x Endler Guppies (.5inch)
5 x Glass Tetras (the reeealy see-through ones) (1.5inch)
1 x Dwarf Honey Gourami (1 inch)
9 x umm i forgot what they are called.. tetra with neon red stripe through it (1inch)
1 x Red tailed shark ( 2 inches)

= 21 inches of fish (in a 30 gallon tank)

So i stocked it to 2/3 of its final stock list.

I checked ammonia levels this morning and they read 0.

Will test again this afternoon and will keep you all posted :)

Becarfull with the shark, I think they can get quite agressive to smaller fish. They MAY get too big for your tank but im not 100% on that.

Where are the pics :good:

Mike

You have calculated your stocking inches badly you calculate by the max size the fish will get not by its current. What filtration do you have as quite a few of those fish will double or triple in size. It should be fine if you do go over I have 2" per gallon but my filtration is also very very good and over filtered.

Amunet: Yep I did an 80% water change the day before adding fish.

oswoldy: Thanks for the warning. I have kept red tailed sharks before and in my experience they can definately get aggressive. This one is very small and he is OK so far so i'm going to see how it goes. If he starts to become a bully ill swap him for a different fish.

Saltynay: My filter is a Fluval 204 with 2 baskets full of Biotube things and the other full of carbon. It is meant to be good for up to a 200L tank (mine is 110L)
I know that the fish will grow but the 'rule of thumb', as i have been advised, is that for the first 6 months I can have 1 inch of fish per gallon (i have a 30 gallon tank) and then after that I can slowly increase until a max of 1 inch per 2 litres. If things ever get out of control i can just give some fish away.

Also, They are mainly Tetras so they don't poop a massive ammount like some other fish.

P.S. Day 2 and no trace of ammonia :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back