How Many Corydoras Sterbai To Keep?

EddyBearr

Reaction score
So, I'm intending to get shoal of cories, and a somewhat large one at that. How many Sterba's Corydoras would be best to keep? My aquarium is 30 gallons, with 432 sq. inches of surface area on the bottom of the tank.

Sterba's Corydoras grow to about 6-7cm.

Also, would they like a pump running along near the bottom of their tank, with some bogwood archs?

You could probably have 10 in there as long are you didn't have any other bottom dwellers.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "pump running along near the bottom" is this an air stone or powerhead?

Yes, they will appreciate some bogwood arches and plants for cover :)

You could probably have 10 in there as long are you didn't have any other bottom dwellers.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "pump running along near the bottom" is this an air stone or powerhead?

Yes, they will appreciate some bogwood arches and plants for cover :)

A pvc pipe running from the filter to create current (if that works / is possible,) or a powerhead.

I've also tickled the idea of having a couple kuhli loach to control snails. 2 or 3 of them. Do you think that would have much of an effect on the Cories?

How many Sterba's Corydoras would be best to keep?
10-15+, as will all Corys and most schooling fish.

My aquarium is 30 gallons, with 432 sq. inches of surface area on the bottom of the tank.
What is the length and depth (front to back)? It sounds like a relatively short tank, given the area, in which case sterbai Corys might not be suitable.

Sterba's Corydoras grow to about 6-7cm.
That's the SL, TL is longer.

Also, would they like a pump running along near the bottom of their tank, with some bogwood archs?
No, they don't care about such things. They like sand and some plants.

I've also tickled the idea of having a couple kuhli loach to control snails. 2 or 3 of them. Do you think that would have much of an effect on the Cories?
Khuli loaches are also schooling/shoaling and do not do very well when not kept in groups.

My aquarium is 30 gallons, with 432 sq. inches of surface area on the bottom of the tank.
What is the length and depth (front to back)? It sounds like a relatively short tank, given the area, in which case sterbai Corys might not be suitable.

36" x 12" x 18"(LxWxH.) 30 Gallon Long.

No, they don't care about such things. They like sand and some plants.

I'm not positive how they'd feel about bogwood (it would be covered with Java Fern, in theory,) but I've only ever read that cories like to play in current.

Khuli loaches are also schooling/shoaling and do not do very well when not kept in groups.

So, would 3 be too few for Khuli Loaches? Simaltaneously, would three (or the minimum # of loaches) put too large of a burden for ~10 cories??

As it's planned now, I'm going for a "bogwood cave" of sorts, since I have a lot of bogwood with nice arches to them, which would be covered in Java Fern. Water Wisteria would float at the top, and I'd like to have a plant for the substrate, but I'm not sure what. And yes, the substrate will be sand (play sand.)

36" x 12" x 18"(LxWxH.) 30 Gallon Long.
I would chose a smaller species as they are pretty active and do grow quite large. Also, with 10+ Corys, a tank that size will look quite crowded, which I do not like. I have 10 C. sterbai in a 4.5*2 ft tank, which they rather enjoy, but I would say that they are too active for a 3*1 ft tank. For a standard 3 ft tank like yours, I would look at C. panda, C. triliniatus and C. julii, C. weitzmani, C. duplicareus, C. venezuelanus, C. rabauti, C. eques, etc. All of those should behave as C. sterbai and most grow to 50-55 mm SL.

If you insist on going for sterbai, then 10 is really the minimum and the maximum that I recommend for your tank. If you go for a smaller species, then I recommend 10-15 individuals.

I'm not positive how they'd feel about bogwood
I assure you, they would feel very neutral and "don't care either way" about bogwood :) The bogwood would, of course, add to the décor, which is a good idea.

[…] but I've only ever read that cories like to play in current.
I have heard the same, but I think that this is mostly the case in small tanks with a strong flow when the options are mainly a) get bored out of one's mind, b) swim against the current or get swept away or c) both a) and b). I have kept a few 100 individual Corys of three species in larger tanks and I can say that I have never observed this behaviour. Also, Corys come from slower moving rivers, not hill streams, so prefer a gentler current. There is nothing wrong with adding a stronger flow in *one area* of the tank, as long as more than half has relatively calm water.

So, would 3 be too few for Khuli Loaches? Simaltaneously, would three (or the minimum # of loaches) put too large of a burden for ~10 cories??
Yes, almost all shoaling (including schooling) fish, including khuli loaches, should be kept in groups of 10-15+ and at the very least in a group of 6+. For slightly more details, read http://natureaquarium.co.uk/?p=380
10 loaches would be fine with 10 Corys, but this would make your final stock bottom heavy, which is not that exciting in a tall tank like yours.

Water Wisteria would float at the top, and I'd like to have a plant for the substrate, but I'm not sure what.
Just the one? Corys would benefit from at least light planting, and in a bare tank, you would not see the khuli loaches.

I personally think that 10 are fine in a 3 footer, but everyone has different opinions on stocking and minumum schooling numbers :dunno:

If you're worried about snails get some assassin snails to eat them.

Most reactions

trending

Back