How many cichlids?

Wildfire

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20 gal with 4 cichlids for the time being. How many more can I add without having them eat each other? I presently have 4 males (I believe?). Is there any way to tell? I am going to get more fish tonight. Should I get females? :unsure:

What species of cichlid are these? There are about 4.5 thousand species of cichlid and it would be nice to narrow it down a little. Are they African or South American?

Perhaps you could post a photo so we can identify them.

I really wish people wouldn't rush out and buy more fish when they're not even certain they can cope with the ones they've already got :grr: What are you going to do if everyone says you have too many fish for a 20 gal already?

I just added my signature. I also have been told these are African Cichlids. I really hope I could have more than 4 fish in a 20 gallon!

Wildfire said:
I just added my signature. I also have been told these are African Cichlids. I really hope I could have more than 4 fish in a 20 gallon!
I very much doubt your fish are fully grown yet, and then there's the problem of territory - Malawi cichlids are very territorial.

I have no idea what a "Tetra cichlid" is. I'm hoping that someone else will be able to answer your question. I know when I was looking into African cichlids a while back, I felt a 3.5 ft tank was too small.

it matter how big these fish grow!!!! :thumbs: could be quite big fish .... and i also have never heard of a tetra cichlid.... :/ :crazy:

wildfire,

A 20 gal tank is a bit on the small size for many cichlids,although you may be able to work something out if you're prepared to change your arrangement a bit.

As most cichlids are very territorial,and in nearly every case its the male who will defend it fiercely, i would say 4 males is too much for a start.The tank may not be big enough for each of the four males to have their own territory without coming into conflict with each other.
Another thing you need to consider is the male-female ratio. Generally speakin its advised (not essential but well advised) that you should have no fewer than 2-3 females per male. (this lessens the chance of the male stressing the female too much)
With a 20 Gal, 3 - 4 fish of say 3 - 4 inches would be workable,altough with a low number like that you're now looking at , a male with 2 or 3 females. that may be you're answer.

there are also many types of cichlid (mbuna) that only grow to 2 - 3 inch max.(perhaps some rockfish) if you fancied those then you could be looking at maybe 6 - 8 fish max.

I've got a 25 gal tank, and thats only got 3 golden zebs (2 1/2 inch) a plec and some young red top zebs.

I'm no expert at fish keeping and some of the more experienced guys may have better advice for you.

But i think you may need to consider getting rid of at least two males and get some hot lookin girls in there before the males go crazy and start mixin it up!

craw.

craw is right. you need to get rid of some of the males and make the ratio 3 females for every female. the males will only kill each other trying to become the alpha male. the ratio suggested helps to keep the aggression down in the males. also mbuna are the only fish that overstocking will also help to lower aggression.

shellies would do nice in a 20 gallon.

semper fi

I'll hold off on any advice until I find out what a "tetra" cichlid is???????

CM

Sorry for the confusion cichlidmaster... It just seems to be so hard to get a straight answer from my LFS... I checked my bill and thats's what it said but being a newbie and a little naif at all this I wrote Tetra Cichlids in my signature but from what people are telling me they don't exist???

Wildfire said:
Sorry for the confusion cichlidmaster... It just seems to be so hard to get a straight answer from my LFS... I checked my bill and thats's what it said but being a newbie and a little naif at all this I wrote Tetra Cichlids in my signature but from what people are telling me they don't exist???
Can you send us a photo?

Most reactions

Back