How Many Babies Will My Platy Have

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishkeeper694

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my platy, rain, its her first time ever pregnant,she is only small. how many babies do they usually have on their first birth? xxx

It's had to predict but you can expect anything from 10-30 fry, not all will survive though

my platy, rain, its her first time ever pregnant,she is only small. how many babies do they usually have on their first birth? xxx
If the mother is still very small, she can have only a few babies the first time, like 2-5 the most. It just depends on the fish.

My little red/ black platy is small & she must've had at least 10, 6 of which are still around, I saw at least 2 get eaten

If the mother is still very small, she can have only a few babies the first time, like 2-5 the most. It just depends on the fish.
she is about an inch and a bit in size, which is tiny compared to my other platy's bless her x

Mine isn't much bigger, she's the smallest one

aww cute :') x i cant wait for rain to give birth, i hope i can keep them alive :/ x

aww cute :') x i cant wait for rain to give birth, i hope i can keep them alive :/ x

Probably best if they don't all survive - she'll be giving birth every 4-6 weeks until 6 months after her last contact with a male. Assuming you have a male in with her, then once she gets a bit bigger, she'll be carrying upwards of 30 fry at a time, so you'll soon be looking at a tank FULL of platies. Platies aren't the easiest of fish to rehome, because they are so cheap to buy (both from a retailer's and a fishkeeper's point of view).

Probably best if they don't all survive - she'll be giving birth every 4-6 weeks until 6 months after her last contact with a male. Assuming you have a male in with her, then once she gets a bit bigger, she'll be carrying upwards of 30 fry at a time, so you'll soon be looking at a tank FULL of platies. Platies aren't the easiest of fish to rehome, because they are so cheap to buy (both from a retailer's and a fishkeeper's point of view).
ahh xD thanks for warning me :) xx

They can give birth to up to 24 - 48 fry if not more. Best of luck.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back