How long to keep lights on?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks Byron.

You always make perfect sense to me. You make me realise that there are already more than enough variables to deal with, without adding more. The fish do come first, so I'm happy to keep it low tech.
I know right?! I've told him that he's lucky I don't live near him because I'd be showing up all too often with bribery cookies and lots and lots of questions!
He's really helped me to scale down all the insanity of "extras" and just keep it basic for the sake of my fish.
And ya know what...it's way better for our sanity as well!

There is some fluffy off-white growth, mostly noticeable on the piece of driftwood
That is the organics in the wood coming out which is totally normal. Gross but normal.
Wood has to cycle just like anything else. It will go away ...timing depends on how much organics are in there.
I boiled the heck out of mine and also let sit in a bucket to leach tannins for a week.
I still had the white fuzz for maybe two weeks but my critters loved nibbling at it!

All of your plants and such look wonderful! I think a little browning and shedding is normal when newly planted.

From what I understand, the driftwood fungus happens to everyone who puts in uncured driftwood into their tanks. Plecos seem to like it
Thanks Tyler. :)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I know right?! I've told him that he's lucky I don't live near him because I'd be showing up all too often with bribery cookies and lots and lots of questions!

Too funny! Ha ha! I think I'd be with you, trying to organise a 'tea party' at Byron's place.

That is the organics in the wood coming out which is totally normal. Gross but normal.
Wood has to cycle just like anything else. It will go away ...timing depends on how much organics are in there.
I boiled the heck out of mine and also let sit in a bucket to leach tannins for a week.
I still had the white fuzz for maybe two weeks but my critters loved nibbling at it!

Ah. I've noticed that it's only the driftwood that I got from one particular store that's fuzzing up. The pieces I bought from a rather nice aquarium don't have any fuzz on them that I can see.

All of your plants and such look wonderful! I think a little browning and shedding is normal when newly planted.
Thank you. I was trying to show all the problem areas in those photos. I'll let it all just run its course I guess. I don't really understand whether algae is a good thing or a bad thing from various perspectives (the plants, the fish, humans' sense of aesthetics) anyway.

Too funny! Ha ha! I think I'd be with you, trying to organise a 'tea party' at Byron's place.

Ah. I've noticed that it's only the driftwood that I got from one particular store that's fuzzing up. The pieces I bought from a rather nice aquarium don't have any fuzz on them that I can see.

Thank you. I was trying to show all the problem areas in those photos. I'll let it all just run its course I guess. I don't really understand whether algae is a good thing or a bad thing from various perspectives (the plants, the fish, humans' sense of aesthetics) anyway.

Many thanks everyone. The plants are doing really well since I reduced the number of hours of light. They seem to be happy with seven hours.

The white fluffy stuff is just microscopic life evacuating from the interior of the drift wood, as the wood becomes waterlogged the microbes living inside the wood excrete themselves and eventually die off. It's completely harmless and some fish may eat it.
The debris settling on your Anubis may just be debris settling from the crushed coral, you can probably just put your hand in there and swish it around a little to get it off, which I do recommend because if debris sits on leaves too long it can cause damage to the leaves, though this usually only happens with organic material as it begins decomposing it burns the plant essentially.
Just monitor your water flow and if you notice there isn't as much flow as you'd like I.e. Food debris etc is settling before it can be up taken by your filter, you may want to add an air stone or adjust the placement of your filter.
If you do see some melting of leaves it's usually nothing, in the initial stages the plants you bought will have been grown emerged (out of water) which means that the plant cells are not adapted to survive submerged (under water) the plant will usually survive, assuming it's got enough light and nutrients, and it will consume old leaves to aid in growth of new leaves.
As for the algae, it's most likely diatom algae, this is very common, diatoms are very fine and should rub off very easily if you gently rub it between your fingers, it will not be a concern in early stages unless you let it go far too long without adjusting either lighting or ferts, what I meant by learning how to spot an imbalance in your previous post is that algae will grow any time the balance between light and ferts is not ideal, this is why almost every fish tank out there will harbor algae regardless of whether you see it or not, it is very hard to create a perfect environment in which no algae exists, it is also not necessary as I said before because algae is beneficial and easy to counteract. Basically if you have so many ferts in the tank that plants don't use them all, algae will grow to meet the level of ferts in the water. Similarly if there is too much light and not enough ferts, the plants can't grow fast enough to use all that light and again algae will have room to grow, it can also be the case that there is not enough light in the tank that plants aren't able to make use of the ferts, and in this case algae will use it and take advantage of the light before the plants are able to. And the same for. It enough ferts.
So you can see that it's very easy to allow algae a place to grow in your tank, this is why almost any tank you will ever see will still contain some algae. It's also not always true that algae means too much of "x" 100% of the time, it may be not enough "x" as well. So you will need to be constantly experimenting to find the source of your "algae problem" what I'm trying to say is don't sweat algae until it's becoming such a problem that it's taking over your tank.
finally the bamboo in question. If you bought it from a pet store then it's likely to be lucky bamboo, this comes in 2 varieties, the straight stem and the curly stem. These are perfectly safe for your aquarium but the leaves growing from the top of it will need to be exposed to the air, if the entire plant is submerged it will die off. Some people just put it in the back of their HOB filters and some float it by cutting a hole in a piece of styrofoam , they then stick the bamboo through the hole and this allows the plant to float vertically, as the bamboo grows you can slide it farther down in the styrofoam until the roots eventually reach the substrate, at which point you can remove the styrofoam.

Hope I'm not being too confusing with the algae stuff, if you want to know more send me a pm and I can describe the most common symptoms in greater detail for you so you know what to avoid. Good luck with your tank, hope it turns out great for tou

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back