How Long Is Too Long When Cleaning The Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kaidonni

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Given my previous issues with very low levels of ammonia and nitrites (see here, Dosing Prime On Top Of Fish), how long is it safe to have the power off while cleaning the aquarium? Obviously at some stage the biological cycle will be affected with the lack of oxygenated water being moved around the tank by the filter. Is up to an hour safe, or is that cutting it close? Sometimes maintenance can take 30 minutes, while others 40-50 minutes as I try to make sure the plants are all planted right and that any that need pruning are sufficiently pruned, and also as I do some tidying up before turning the power back on (mainly getting any condensation off the inside of the lid and using some kitchen towel to dry the water jug and siphon and buckets I have used for replacement water/removing water).

A filter can be switched off for hours without any significant bacterial die back, as long as you don't let he media dry out.

Many of us have forgotten to switch our filter back on after water changes for a day or more and not had any issues.

Ah, when I clean the filter itself I do tend to leave the media out of the water (didn't last week, at least not for as long), probably 10-20 minutes while I get all obsessive about making sure I've done a good enough job. Also, the water level being lowered in the tank might cause issues, although it's not usually for that long (again, 10-20 minutes depending on what I'm doing with the plants, although if it's cleaning the filter, once it goes back in I do get straight to adding the replacement water...it probably stacks, though, if I'm doing both the filter and messing with plants prior to adding new water).

When I clean my FX5, especially in the winter, the filter media is outside the filter for up to a quarter an hour in the cold, outside. I try to get the media back into the cylinder as fast as I can, just to keep it warm, but in general the media is out of water for up to half an hour. Left in the filter canister, with water around it, the filter media bacteria will be ok for hours.

Actually, the answer is much longer than 'hours' and extends to 'days'.  The bacteria will not die back for days even if the filter is not turned back on.  Further, the filter media can even be left out of the water to become 'dry' to our touch, and the bacteria will be just fine, as the bacteria actually live inside a biofilm.  The purpose of the biofilm is to act as a protective barrier for the bacteria from potential harmful environmental factors.

I wouldn't concern myself much with leaving the filter off for as long as it takes to do routine maintenance.  The bacteria, especially established colonies, are far sturdier than we often give them credit for.  

Filter maintenance for me is sometimes up to an hour and a half, in which time the trays are in the warm on some towel. No harm done. The first thing that happens when I put the filter back together is I flood the casing with old tankwater and then give it a gentle shke to dislodge air pockets. Then fill the tank back up with fresh water. In general, the filter runs for 24hours per day for most of the week with huge amounts of water passing through it, if the bacteria can survive that and still cling to the filter, they'll be able to survive an hour to two hours outside the tank. The sponges are never truly dry either, the film has absorbed the moisture.

Thanks for the replies. This brings me to another question - is it wise to clean the filter on a different day to conducting a gravel vacuum? I used to do both at the same time, now I tend to keep them to separate days so I don't disturb both sources of beneficial bacteria. I did a deep gravel vacuum while replacing plants yesterday, going through where the plants normally are, and I'm conducting a filter clean today around 24 hours after that - that isn't too soon, is it?

if i'm honest, I don't clean my gravel and my tank isn't suffering any ill effects.. it actually won't stop growing

Plants and deep gravel vacuuming do not work well together. All that stuff you removed actually feeds the plants and keeps the biological processes in your tank in top shape.

The same applies to ones filter and most media. The gunk is actually good stuff until it reaches the point of slowing the filter flow. Have a read here http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back