How long does it take for complete cycling?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

seanus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I can't remember the exact process...ammonia is released as waste from the fish, which then is converted into nitrite, and then becomes nitrate. Is that right?

I'm starting up my tank again & forget how long each stage of this process is...

If you could please let me know the time intervals & when it is best to get fish and then add more fish, I'd be very thankful. ;)

hope this helps
fishless cycle

when doing fishless, as soon as the cycle is done, you can add all your fish at once.
Its quicker than cyclig with fish too

EDIT:- cycling with fish can be very stressful for the fish

You have the process right. As far as how long it takes, it varies from tank to tank. Are you doing a fishless cycle or are you cycling with fish? It it is a fishless cycle, the ammonia spike (where you add pure ammonia to raise the level to about 5 or 6 ppm) generally last about a week, give or take a couple days. The nitrite spike (once the ammonia has dropped to zero and you are just adding a small amount of ammonia each day to keep the bacteria already developed fed) will last about twice as long as the ammonia spike. The average time to completely cycle is probably about 3 to 4 weeks. The good thing about a fishless cycle though is that once the nitrite drops back to zero, you are ready to add pretty much your full fish load.

If you are cycling with fish, it will take longer. Basically, you add a few fish (quantity depends on the size of your tank, don't get carried away) and start checking daily for ammonia and nitrite. The ammonia will spike and then the nitrite will spike. During this time, you will probably have to do daily water changes to keep the levels from getting to a toxic level. Once both the ammonia and nitrite are back to zero for a full week, you can add a few more fish and start the process all over again. Basically the tank will only be cycled for the fish load that you currently have. Every time you add more fish that create more waste, your bacteria colony will have to catch up so you will get a mini cycle.

I really appreciate the advice & explanation.

Since I would rather not wait another 3-4 weeks, I am tempted to cycle with fish -- I did this last time & didn't lose anyone.

I guess I would consider adding one or two small-medium fish at first and then waiting until the levels are back down, as described.

I'm always open to suggestions if anyone thinks this should be avoided.

Thanks in advance

Fishless cycles are much faster, really. But to each their own. You usually don't lose fish in fcycling with fish, if you don't use delicate ones.

Just pick out a few hardy fish (like danios or white clouds) and put them in the tank. Test like normal every day. But be prepared to keep the fish after you are done cycling, or spend forever catching them (as both fish I mentioned are skittish) and rehome them.

i did a fish cycle with like 2 mollies and a CAE :p Everything was fine with me... and i also added glass fish my 3rd day.... but please dont listen tome and fishless cycle OR use danios casue i mean it was horrible i was such a stupid clutz :(

If you want to start sooner aproach one of your LFS's that would probably be willing to sell you a small amount of "used" fliter media for a buck or two which wuold really help to kick-start a cycle flishless or otherwise and as would cycle much faster.

Katchan

Edited for my cruddy typing :D

Most reactions

Back