How Long Does Fin Rot Take To Heal?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've had my male Betta Drifter since late January to early Feb.
I made a post about him having fin rot in early march.
(I was at a party and the next morning driving home I saw the store and decided to check it out and found him.) I totally wasn't expecting to get him so I ended up doing a fish in cycle with some media from my 30 G to help it along. I did 50% changes every week. (I probably should have been doing 20% every three days or so, but to the point)

He developed fin rot, in my opinion due to the fact that he was in a fish in cycle. There could have been other reasons, but that was my opinion....

I've been keeping on top of water changes and and ensuring the water is a little warmer than I would normally keep it. For a week i treated with melafix, not sure if it actually helped but it made me feel better
tongue2.gif

And now his fins seem to be very slowly growing back. his tail is blue at the base and goes to bright red, and where the fin rot was it is now growing in black, which looks odd but I don't mind it. His tail is about half grown in maybe.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an estimate of how long it will take before his fins are back to normal? Does anyone have any advice on what I could be doing to help him any more?

He lives in a 5 gal standard tank with live plants and some hiding places. The filter is a bit strong (it's a 10 gal filter) But it has adjustable flow and is on it's lowest setting.
Readings have all settled down to normal over the past month since the cycle completed. Aside from the pH, which is 8, but that's my tap water and I can't do much about that...

IME with fin rot the name of the game is water change, water change, water change. Most recommend daily water changes, about 50%. Fin rot is usually caused by poor water conditions, so the clean water will really help. As for a time frame, it would probably depend on how advanced the fin rot was.

If you are seeing regrowth on the fins then you are in the end stages.  Once the fins are damaged there is really no telling what they will look like after they regrow.  It is hard to tell how much longer it will be until his fins are fully regrown. The main thing is to keep the water clean and warm (around 82-84F).  The melafix is really not recommended with bettas since the product has had some complaints about the oil in it harming the labyrinth organ.  I think your setup sounds good and I wouldn't worry about your ph -- the betta by now has adjusted to it and that is not a problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back