how do you know when fish are pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

angela16172

Reaction score
0595560c64e4b215106c05fef5653d4c.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Depends on the species of course, fish do not get "pregnant" they become gravid, which means they are full of eggs, though some fish are viviparous ( they bear live young) it's pretty obvious in that case, live bearers are easy to sex, and pregnant female livebearers will get a Gravid spot near their anal fin when ready to bear young, their tummy will be some large and they will suclude themselves from the school, I can see you have balloon Mollies or platys, however I cannot determine their gender from that photo alone, the rasboras you have become gravid (full of eggs) and females will typically have a large stomach area when the are gravid

Thank you...mine were gravid i woke up to two fry that i can see..ive never had or seen fry before. Do i nee to get mother and babies out of the tank into there own home x

Yes do this ASAP odds are if there are only two fry remaining the rest have been eaten, remove the fry soon

Ooh no..I'm at work all day. Ooh well I'll know for next time. I'd just got the fish in January. So still learning about them..Thank you for your help

It happens to everyone,
Most people don't even know there fish are gravid

Aw I'm so happy i just finished work expecting to find no fry after a 12hr shift to find out they still alive. Plus I have found 4 so far am still looking for any more I'm so happy. It's exciting have new additions. Thank you again

PS. How many fry does one fish usual have? I suspect that the other female are also expecting

Livebearers can have anywhere from 5-15 fry at a time (depending on the species) you have mollies, correct?

I was told they were called red cherry platy..but I've been looking and they do look like balloon mollies online

Is it ok to feed the babies a tiny bit of tropical flakes?...do i need to use a filter?

Flake is fine, as long as it's crushed, and yes you do need a filter; a sponge filter is great for fry.

Okay thank you for your help again

Platys typically have 20-40 babies.. your other fish must of had a feast

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back