How do u clean sand

Nope I'm afraid absolutely no crushed coral :no:
Sand from your garden centre should be fine but it might need lots of washing. Though any fish shop should have sand suitable for tropical freshwater fish.
Here is a pinned topic on sand that should hopefully help you a bit more :)

Oh and under gravel filers and sand combo, is another absolutely no-no. The sand would just compact and cause dangerous gasses to build up. Use another type of filter (internal or external) or use gravel with an under gravel filter.

I know our wal-mart doesn't sell sand and the pet center just sells sand for marine tanks so i will have to buy some garden sand. Thankz sooo much! :D Think this is it for now.

Silica sand is the one you want - anything inert.

I've just put sand in two of my tanks and it looks amazing (silica, at least the stuff I have is pure white!)

Wow i got play sand for like $2.43 and i am glad it was only that much cause it is very ugly, my mom wouldn't even let me put it in the tank but i didn't want to put it in anyways. So my mom is going to use that sand in her garden! yea more work for me!

The guy at our pet store had showed me some nice white sand but they only had one bag of it that was like 5 pounds. so i am going there with my dad on sunday to order it.

Also i have talked my mom into letting me get a 10gal. for my fry ;) I told her that since i just bought the undergravel filter i didn't want it to go to waste and told her it would be nice to have a 10gal. to raise the fry in. I am soooooo glad it worked :thumbs:

Anyways thanks so much everyone for your help!

Most reactions

Back