How can i raise the alkalinity of my freshwater aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Messonaldo

Reaction score
Checked my water parameters and everything was fine except the alkalinity which was 40.

What is the unit of measurement? I will assume for the moment it is ppm (= mg/l) so 40 ppm equates with 2 dKH. A level of 40 dKH (= 716 ppm or mg/l) is not too likely.

There is nothing necessarily "wrong" with this KH (carbonate hardness is another term for Alkalinity) but this depends upon the GH, pH and fish species. If you could provide more data, one of us could probably offer guidance or advice. Example, the GH and pH of your source water, and are these fluctuating in the aquarium, and what fish species do you maintain.

Byron.

What is the unit of measurement? I will assume for the moment it is ppm (= mg/l) so 40 ppm equates with 2 dKH. A level of 40 dKH (= 716 ppm or mg/l) is not too likely.

There is nothing necessarily "wrong" with this KH (carbonate hardness is another term for Alkalinity) but this depends upon the GH, pH and fish species. If you could provide more data, one of us could probably offer guidance or advice. Example, the GH and pH of your source water, and are these fluctuating in the aquarium, and what fish species do you maintain.

Byron.
It's a 10 gallon tank and right now I have 4 bloodfin tetras in currently.All the water parameters are fine ,soft water,no ammonia,etc.

It's a 10 gallon tank and right now I have 4 bloodfin tetras in currently.All the water parameters are fine ,soft water,no ammonia,etc.

There is no need to fuss over Alkalinity here. Most soft water fish will be fine. Though you still have not given the pH, and the primary function of KH is buffering pH. If the pH is within the range for the species, and is relatively stable from water change to water change (i.e., not fluctuating), there wouldn't be an issue.

My 8 tanks have zero KH. I have soft water species, and the pH varies from tank to tank and I stock accordingly. If you had hard water fish species, you would need higher GH/KH/pH.

BTW, the Bloodfins should be in a larger group; this species is prone to fin nipping. At the very least 6-7, but that causes you issues because a 10g is not sufficient space for this species. Just pointing it out.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back