How Accurate Are Tetra 6 In 1 Test Strips?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Unless you're cycling a new fish only tank, ammonia and nitrite tests are pointless as in an established tank, they will always be zero. And in a planted tank, cycling is nearly automatic.
So the test we're most concerned about is nitrates....and if your doing routine weekly partial water changes with nitrate free source water, even this test is practically optional. There are many experienced fish keepers that rarely feel the need to do tests!
So the test strips are a bit less accurate than the liquid regent tests, but how accurate do they need to be. And frankly, about the only thing I deduce from the API master kit nitrate test is that orange is okay and red is bad.
I wouldn't be afraid to use the test strips as a guide. Admittedly, I haven't used them for the aquarium (although I think I may), but I use them for the pool and the hot tub all the time and they seem to serve the purpose just fine.

For a greater level of accuracy I would always go with a product with a digital readout.

I agree with that. If you are looking for a good test for ammonia I would get the Hanna instruments HI700 colorimeter. Very accurate and with a digital readout. No messing with a color chart. Unfortunately it cost $50. I have been slowly collecting them. I also have a phosphate and alkalinity meter. All are easy to use. Unfortunately they don't make a nitrate meter.

I use the JBL strips (better value and easier to read!)

In case you haven't seen these they are like the tetra strips except there is a phone app you can download The App will use the phone camera to read the results for you. I haven't tried them yet.

I use the tetra strips and I have compared them to a quality PH pen and they are accurate. I used some nitrate fertilizer to test the strips and they passed that. I also compared GH reading of my sisters water and compared that to a test report she got. The two were very close. My tanks alkalinity is very low so that tests isn't of much use for me but now that I have the Alkalinity the two tests are often in agreement. Basically I don't see anything to make me doubt the results.

However I wouldn't recommend the tetra ammonia test strips. These you dip in the water for 10 seconds and immediately read them. But I found that if you didn't immediately read them they will give you a false positive reading and the resolution of the reading is poor.

Most reactions

Back