Hornwort

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

leafs

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I finally took the plunge and bought a real plant. Doe's anyone have Hornwort plants in their tank? I just purchased one and I've been reading that it's a floating plant. It was in the gravel when I purchased it. Is it o.k to leave it in the gravel? Is around 6 hours of light a day sufficient?

Thanks

it will start off in the gravel, but will end up floating as bits and pieces break off.

leafs said:
Doe's this plant grow fast?
In my tank they seem to grow around 20cm every 2 weeks and end up cutting the extras and chucking them.

Is a 20 watt flouresent enough light and can the parts that are pruned off be re-planted. I have another tank that could use some plants. Another problem I have is that I might have a mild case of ick. Will a med like Quick cure kill the plant? I'm using salt and raising the temp for now to see if it helps instead of meds.

Thanks

i had hornwort and thought it was very messy
the leaves break off and get everywhere, even stuck in the filter

i wanted to keep it down in the gravel, but could never keep it from floating back to the top
let me know if you have better luck

dragoon459 said:
i had hornwort and thought it was very messy
the leaves break off and get everywhere, even stuck in the filter

i wanted to keep it down in the gravel, but could never keep it from floating back to the top
let me know if you have better luck
I doe's seem a little messy. Maybe I should of tried something like a Java fern instead. I have it deep in the gravel. Even if it's in there good, will it still eventually float?

leafs said:
I doe's seem a little messy. Maybe I should of tried something like a Java fern instead. I have it deep in the gravel. Even if it's in there good, will it still eventually float?
Hornwort is a floating plant. It does not root. So if you plant it, you'll soon find the lower leaves dying out and it will soon float.

I also find hornwort a bit messy. It does not stay put generally. I've tried a couple of different methods with it and am having decent success. I usually strip off some of the leaves at the "bottom" on a strand of it and push that end deep into the gravel. It will usually stay in place for a while, usually until I clean that part of the gravel.

Another thing I do is wedge it in between and under rocks. Again, it stays in place until I clean the tank and move the rocks around. Pieces do break off but they keep growing. I don't mind a few pieces floating around the tank, so sometimes I'll just let it go. Other times I take some of the smaller pieces and replant them or else I just throw them away.

I raised my lighting from 1.7 to 2.3 watts per gallon and the plant seemed to do better. It also seemed to benefit from adding some liquid fertilizer. When it does not grow well, I noticed that new growth takes on a brownish color and then starts to turn black. With good growth it is usually bright green.

Someone else mentioned anacharis. I think this is a better plant for low to moderate lighting. I bought 3 anacharis plants when I first set up my tank and it has grown to at least 3 times the size. It also roots fairly well and is easy to replant. I am considering replacing my hornwort with anacharis as it continues to grow. It just seems like an easier plant to maintain and is prettier in my opinion, as well.

I think I'm going to get rid of the Hornwort. Too messy. I'm going to try some Anubias types. I guess I could use the Hornwort in my breeding tank. Good for hiding places for fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back