Hoplo's spawned....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gibbo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Set up a breeding tank (30 gal) several weeks ago for Megalechis Thoracata (formerly Hoplosternum Thoracata). They had spawned before but ate the eggs. This time they were introduced (3 days ago) from seperate tanks and had spawned by this evening. I had conditioned them on bloodworm, insect larvae (glassworm, blackworm etc) and pellet food. The female was so ripe it was unbelievable!! Like a little barrel she was. :*

They are now back in their seperate tanks as before. The upstairs tank now has a large bubblenest underneath a floating polystyrene cieling tile with a substantial amount of eggs enclosed. Have added methylene blue to water to stop eggs fungusing and, all being well they will hatch in 4 days and will take their first meal 2 days later.

Time to powder the flake and have the frozen cyclops at the ready! :)

:) Hope you can grow them on this time Gibbo. Best of luck :thumbs: Mac.

gibbo, what size were your hoplo,s when the started to breed?

Male 5"TL, female 4.5"TL.

News update... Eggs fungussed!!! Back to the drawing board. Must've been infertile... Will try again in a few weeks. I WILL succeed.... :angry: :shifty:

awwwwbad luck gibbo, next time they lay the eggs add a couple of drops of meth blue to the water, this can help stop the eggs from fungasing(sp?)

Also, Maroxy is a VERY good fungus med I HIGHLY recomend if trying to keep eggs from fungus. Now before you all go telling me, Yes, but Danny some of us are on the other side of the pond and our LFS to cheap to order Mardel Lab. products.
I know, I know, just had to plug one of my most recomemded meds.

Which are a few 1, 2. thats it. I am a really anti additive unless it means fins or no fins then I use and recomemd meds.
Danny

Congrtas again Gibbo, just had to peak back in and harass those on the other side of the pond. Which now has a shark in it no thanks to ...W.... No names... :p :p :p

Wotfish - I did put meth blue in, eggs must've been infertile I guess. Plenty of time to try again anyway, they are quite long lived fish I believe. :)

saaw some baby ones today about 2 cm long they were £4.50 each is that cheap! seen them bigger for around £8 at 3inches i think

Most reactions

Back