Home Made Fish Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

captainhook

Reaction score
Alright, I would like to know if it would be possible to build a tank on my own. From tanks I've looked at and examined it seems that the structure is extremely simple, consisting of glass and silicone glue as well as some sort of molding aroung the edges. Are these the actual materials used or is a special glass employed and is silicone safe? Would it be any harder than constructing a rectangle of glass, or are their many factors to take into consideration? Also would this method be more cost efficient than just buying an actual tank? Thanks

alot less hassle and cost efficient to buy a tank, even a used tank.

glass depends on the size of the tank. the glass on my 30's is quarter inch thick. the glass on my 180 is three quarters thick. the bottoms are usually tempered glass. the moldings serve a purpose also. in the larger or longer tanks they keep the tank square.

silicone has to be 100% silicome. anything else can kill your fish. you could use aquarium sealant, but at 10.00 a small tube it is not cost efficient. also glass is not cheap. broke a pane of glass in my 40 and got the brilliant idea to replace it myself. cost more to replace the pane than to go out and buy a whole new tank.

depends on where you are. can get a whole 65 gallon set up with hood stand and lights new for 150.00. got my 180 for 50.00 used.

jmo

semper fi

Well what would average prices of large tanks be? You can be realistic I can handle the expensive truth! haha
thanks

I would constantly be worried of missing one fine little detail and the thing shattering in my livinroom!!! Ill leave the tank building up to All Glass =)

People make DIY tanks all of the time but it really does not become cost efficient until you start getting into really large tanks. Many people who build their own, use plywood for the bottom and sides and only use glass for the front. The plywood is glued/screwed togeteher and coated with a 2-part epoxy marine paint which can be a bit expensive. Unless you are thinking about going 100 gallons or more, I wouldn't even consider it. Instead, you can save a lot of money by building your own stand and canopy. Just go to your LFS and take a look at the stands there; they are really nothing special. Take a tape measure, pencil, and paper with you and sketch out the design and dimensions of the equipment that will match your tank. If anyone gives you flack(probably wont anyway), tell them that you're just making sure it will fit in your living room ;) . Also, buy your flourescent lighting fixtures from a hardware or department store; don't pay the outrageous prices at your LFS for these.

seems cheap but i think its the accesorys that cost the real money. i got tank b for £60 and i got tank a for 40 but i spent about 3 times as much on accessorys.

Hello,

I had the same idea. But the glass can be expensive so i had an idea on building a big tank for cheep. I was looking at double glazed patio doors. Some have toughened glass. A second hand one with the frame damaged or missing would be cheep from the reclaim yard ;).

As for putting it together, i've read a number of sites and it doesnt look hard or complecated at all!

Then u can build a hood from wood.

I say if you got a bit of spare cash, give it a go. Whats the most you'll lose? Maybe 30 or 40 quid?

Jamnog said:
seems cheap but i think its the accesorys that cost the real money.
So very true. As frugal as you try to be, there is always something to spend money on. I don't think that I'm actually spending less by saving money here and there on ceratin items...I just spend whatever I saved on one thing on new fish or a cool new gadget. It's a very addictive hobby to be sure. I really like the tinkering aspect of things, however. I enjoy doing all of the DIY projects just for the fun of engineering a new piece of equipment and putting it together. I like to go to Home Depot in the mornings, get a free cup of their coffee from the checkout by the buliding supply exit and just wander around and wait for inspiration to hit me.

-=DG=- said:
I was looking at double glazed patio doors. Some have toughened glass. A second hand one with the frame damaged or missing would be cheep from the reclaim yard ;).
Don't do it! That glass is definitely not designed to hold the volume of water you are suggesting :crazy: If you managed to assemble a tank that used it's full size, it will certainly explode...guaranteed. You would need premium glass an inch thick to hold back water the size of a patio door.

Wow, yeah that is a good point. I assumed they would be an inch thick anyway?

A piece of quality glass an inch thick would be very expensive. It would not be practical to use such material on a simple patio door setup. Besides, try to imagine how much a piece of glass that size would weigh...you would never be able to move it on your own.

I wanted to get my front panel of my tank replaced. At the time my seals were leaking so i had the oppotunity to remove it. I called up the glass shops and only 1 shop did 10mm thick glass. He quoted me £55 for a 48 x 18 x 10mm thick sheet of glass :eek:

Yeah that sort of size would be to big. But maybe f you chop it in half.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back