Hole in the head disease or genetics?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettasRFriends

Moved On
Reaction score
I see these miniscule little holes (about 5 of them) on Mayo's head. I bought him like this about 4-5 months ago. He eats, swims, and does everything a normal betta should do: bubblenest, flaring, you name it (he just cant jump though). Could it be just genetics that these little holes are in his head or is it a disease?

I have panicked and fretted about those very holes in Jack's, Jasper's and Charlie's heads. Some of my boys have them, some don't. I first noticed them with Jasper because he had viral hemmoraghic septicemia, or blood spots under his skin, so I could see the blood red coloring through the holes in his head. So, I panicked. Upon further investigation, some of my guys have it, and some don't. I don't know if it depends upon their coloration, or their skin type because of what breed they are, or what the story is. But.... they've all been getting along perfectly fine with it, the holes have never gotten any bigger, and from what I've read - if it's the dreaded HITH disease, you would also start to see those things fill up with pus, and there would also be little craters appearing around on their head.

So, in my opinion, been there, done that and I don't think you have to worry about it :) But, I'd really like it if someone else came along and confirmed what I said, too.

I've read about HITH disease and it said something about non-eating fish, usually happens for big fish, pus coming out or something like that. So far the holes seem to be healing if i'm not mistaken. If it's HITH i'll buy the medication right away. Sorry no pics, my camera isn't that strong for small shots :/

Yeah, I'd say you probably don't have anything to worry about. It seems odd that 3 of my fish would have it, and they're perfectly fine, and they never get any worse/better.

Actually, come to think of it I do have a picture of Jasper's holes:
jasperHoles.jpg

They're not super evident in this picture, but you can see a few of them. I had posted this picture quite some time ago and everyone, after having looked at them, seemed to think that it was nothing to worry about.

I just bought a betta and he has little holes, I was hesitant at first but I really liked him! He's fine, eating, flaring and he's the first one I had who made a bubble nest!

My other bettas did not have this so it could be genetics.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back