Hifin BRIGHT red or ruby red swordtails in the U.S., ISO

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Firestorm_1976

Reaction score
I am in Arizona. Looking for hifin (or cauliflower, but not large enough to affect effortless swimming ability) swordtails (would be happy with hifin juveniles). Only interested in bright red or ruby red color, with no white or black marking anywhere (sword included). My preference is NON-red-eyed, but open to red eye, if fish is healthy with good eye-sight/food competitive.

Thank you!
I guess, unless I win a lottery, Dan's prices are a bit out of my range. Plus, not looking for to tuxedo at all (to the point, wouldn't take one in for free... nothing wrong with them, just a personal preference). As for the other one, expensive + the fin looks too large for effortless swimming. I'd much rather prefer a hobbyist "playing" with the breed and selling juveniles that he/she thinks may not have high enough fin for his/her liking at a more reasonable price. I am not planning on breeding for profit, just for fun, for my only display tank, to keep company to my five lyretail ladies :)

Attachments

• 3-8-2024, picture 1.jpg
    3-8-2024, picture 1.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 8
I am in Arizona. Looking for hifin (or cauliflower, but not large enough to affect effortless swimming ability) swordtails (would be happy with hifin juveniles). Only interested in bright red or ruby red color, with no white or black marking anywhere (sword included). My preference is NON-red-eyed, but open to red eye, if fish is healthy with good eye-sight/food competitive.
Real cauliflower swordtails are not that easy to get through retail. And yes, they're pricey indeed in comparison to the commercial bred swordtails. I hope you'll be fortunate enough to contact a private breeder who will sell you specimesn for a low price.
I've looked at those links. But the cauliflowers they offer don't have that sturdy bodyshape as they ought to have.
DSCF2055.JPG DSCF2206a.JPG
This is how a real cauliflower must look like. These come also in black eyed specimens.

View attachment 339079 View attachment 339080
This is how a real cauliflower must look like. These come also in black eyed specimens.
Do you happen to know any breeder of those in the U.S.? Particularly interested in normal-eye ones as my five lyretail sword ladies are all red-eyed, and there is very limited info on whether red-eye to red-eye might result in poor eyesight or blindness (logically, it might, right)?

Do you happen to know any breeder of those in the U.S.? Particularly interested in normal-eye ones as my five lyretail sword ladies are all red-eyed, and there is very limited info on whether red-eye to red-eye might result in poor eyesight or blindness (logically, it might, right)?
I wouldn't know any US breeders who may have them.
Crosing specimens red eye to red eye won't contribute extra to a less eye sight. For just the fact that the eyes are red will make the eyes sensitive to light. So, crossing to another red eyed specimen won't make it any worse to the offspring. And because of the lack of melanine, the eyes are sensitive to light which makes them have a lesser eye sight.

I wouldn't know any US breeders who may have them.
Crosing specimens red eye to red eye won't contribute extra to a less eye sight. For just the fact that the eyes are red will make the eyes sensitive to light. So, crossing to another red eyed specimen won't make it any worse to the offspring. And because of the lack of melanine, the eyes are sensitive to light which makes them have a lesser eye sight.
Thank you! I don't breed for profit, but love to see fry in my tank, and I usually rehome, for free the unwanted ones to local hobbyists while keeping the best looking ones for myself (I only have one display tank). That is why health is a priority for me. For some reason, my gut feeling is that just like breeding albno (white) cat and the same type one can result in blindness or a merle chihuahua to merle... it feels like red-eye to red-eye LOGICALLY can lead to increase in complications. It's just a gut feeling that I have, and the info isn't really there one way or the other, it seems :(

Last edited:
.. it feels like red-eye to red-eye LOGICALLY can lead to increase in complications. It's just a gut feeling that I have, and the info isn't really there one way or the other, it seems :(
That won't apply to swordtails in this case.
Swordtail retinas have both cone and rod cells to provide photopic (eye sight with good light) and scotopic (eye sight with less light) vison no matter if they're black or red eyed. So, they can adjust their sight to the same level under different light situations. Just the lack of melanin in red eyes is making the eyes more sensitive to light. But the level of bad eye sight will remain the same becaue of the combination of bot cone and rod cells.
The only remark I like to give to all this is that when we're speaking of red eyed specimens in swordtails, that we can deal with ocular albino or ocular lutino. Abino eyes are totally lacking melanin while lutino eyes do have a small concentration of melanin which makes the eye sight bettern than in albino eyes. And lutino eyes are less light sensitive than albino eyes.

Swordtail retinas have both cone and rod cells to provide photopic (eye sight with good light) and scotopic (eye sight with less light) vison no matter if they're black or red eyed. So, they can adjust their sight to the same level under different light situations. Just the lack of melanin in red eyes is making the eyes more sensitive to light. But the level of bad eye sight will remain the same becaue of the combination of bot cone and rod cells.
The only remark I like to give to all this is that when we're speaking of red eyed specimens in swordtails, that we can deal with ocular albino or ocular lutino. Abino eyes are totally lacking melanin while lutino eyes do have a small concentration of melanin which makes the eye sight bettern than in albino eyes. And lutino eyes are less light sensitive than albino eyes.
Thank you so much, this info is very helpful! Is there a visual way to know if fish is ocular albino or ocular lutino?

By the way, genetically speaking, do you happen to know if there is any info on whether hifin in lyretail swords is the same gene as in cauliflower (non-lyretail) ones? What should one expect to happen genetically if such lyretail female (image attached) is bred to a cauliflower male? Thanks so much, again!

Attachments

• swordtails.png
    swordtails.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 2
By the way, genetically speaking, do you happen to know if there is any info on whether hifin in lyretail swords is the same gene as in cauliflower (non-lyretail) ones? What should one expect to happen genetically if such lyretail female (image attached) is bred to a cauliflower male? Thanks so much, again!
That would be a hard find. The cauliflower is a trait developed in Japan. It seems that they want it to keep it a secret when it comes to the genetic background.

Most reactions

Back