hi there

moshe

Reaction score
hi there! i feel like the new neighbor on the block .

thank you for this awesome forum, I've learned alot about by fish . i wish i new some stuff before getting the fish though...
I have the fish for about 6 weeks
i have 3 fish in a 29 gallon tank ...an angelfish, dalmatian molly and sunburst platy . ( originally had a black molly but it didn't survive the first night)

i plan to get some more fish, but im having alot of issues with water quality - lots of ammonia and nitrites in the tank . im doing the water changes and it seems to be helping.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality, lack of adequate filtration, or incorrect water chemistry (pH & GH) for the species being kept.

If you contact your water supply company (via telephone or website) they should be able to tell you what the pH and GH (general hardness) of the water is. They can also tell you if they add chlorine or chloramine to the water supply.

Livebearers (mollies, guppies, platies, swordtails) come from water with a GH above 200ppm, (mollies come from water with a GH above 250ppm), and a pH above 7.0. If the GH of your water is less than 200ppm then the livebearers probably won't do as well and you should probably avoid getting any more.

If the GH is above 200ppm then the livebearers will be fine but the angelfish won't be happy. Angelfish come from water with a GH below 150ppm and a pH below 7.0.

Normally you try to keep fish that are suitable to your water.

----------------------
The following link has some information about what to do if your fish get sick. it is pretty long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819

If you have any questions about fish keeping, feel free to ask.

Most reactions

Back