Hi Fishy People!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The Squadron

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just introducing myself.

My tank is a 24" x 12" x 12" Juwel and I've had it for just over 3 years. When I first bought the tank, it had a built-in reflector for the light, but I removed this prettly quickly as I couldn't control the algae. I soon realised that I was not going to be able to grow plants (after many, many attempts) without an external filter. The internal filter for a tank this size just can't do it, you end up having to clean them all the time.

My tank setup is currently;

Eheim 2205 with EhfiMech, EhfiFix, EhfiSubstrat and Peat output to spraybar
1cm peat base
1 - 3 inches medium-fine grade gravel

(I also have an Eheim 2215 and may consider running these filters in tandem?)

Plants...
Java Fern
Echinodorus Tenellus
Cryptocoryne Balansae

and introducing...
10 x Serpae Tetra - THE SQUADRON!!!
1 x Blushing Angel (not exactly sure which, silver all over) - POTTER, bless her.

Everything is going really well now that I understand the benefits of good filtration and correct lighting. I guess now I would like to understand how CO2 can help me, I don't really have too many problems with my plants but did not manage Rotala Walichi which I think needed way more light than I'm providing. The peat also further reduces the light as it darkens the water. I like the effect though and I think the fish look better for it. I treat the tank once a week when I do a 20% water change, I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Leaf Zone plant food, JBL Aquatrop blackwater additive, AP Stress Coat and AP Stress Zyme.

I would really like to hear from anyone who keeps any of the above for advice and tips or just generally join in.

Happy Christmas to all.

:hi: to the forum.

You should definitely be able to get specialized answers from the plants section. ;)

Join our school.
:fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

Most reactions

Back