Hey guys, I need advice on my 45 gallon tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishboy0304

Reaction score
I have a 45 gallon tank with 6 gold tiger barbs, 4 young angelfish, 2 Bolivian rams, 2 keyhole cichlids and 1 bristlenose pleco. Is this overstocked? Or is there anything else I can add?
Thanks!

hi and welcome to the forum :)

watch the tiger barbs, they are fin nippers and might go after the angels.

Yes, it is overstocked (the fish are not yet at their mature sizes so it may not seem like many) but more importantly it is incorrectly stocked.

Colin mentioned the barbs...this species needs a group of ten minimum, and a minimum 30 gallon tank for that group, on their own (substrate fish are OK but no other upper fish). Otherwise, they may get very nasty to each other and other species.

Angelfish need larger quarters, but here we come to another issue. Two angelfish rarely get along for long, unless they are a bonded pair. Two females might manage, sometimes; two males never.

Keyhole cichlids are one of the most peaceful species of cichlid, so they may work out, but the barbs are going to be an issue for these too. Same for the Bolivian Rams. And with both the keyhole and Bolivian, two fish is hit and miss, same as for the angelfish.

Oh no. I just checked the tank, and one of the keyhole cichlids is dead with nipped and jagged fins and one of the Bolivians is nowhere to be seen...

Oh no. I just checked the tank, and one of the keyhole cichlids is dead with nipped and jagged fins and one of the Bolivians is nowhere to be seen...

Well, this is likely the work of the barbs. The missing Bolivian is probably hiding in fear of its life, is there some cover? Don't go tearing the tank apart trying to find it, if it is hiding it has reason and needs the calm.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back