help !!!!!!!!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CTS

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well i am using gold fish to cycle a tank and one of them has red areas where the fins start and a red gills. My guess is Gill Parasites. And another one has a brown belly. This one i have no idea, can someone help me to see if im right or if im not. And what can i do. Thanks in advance.

What size is the tank, as the goldfish are in a bad way, red gills can be high nitrites, and the red patches is septicemia, the brown on the belly I used antibiotics to clear that up, please post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, you will need antibiotics for septicemia as it is blood poisoning and it is very hard to cure.

the tank size is a 50 Gallon. They have only been in there for a week now. Is it possably to have nitrites already? The only test kit that i have right now is ammonia, but im going to the lfs on my way to work. Ill get the other 2 test kits and post my results tomorow morning (as i work nights)

PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0.50 PPM

Thanks for the help.

Are they your goldfish if so can you say what size tank they were in.

No before the 50 gal, has you just bought them from the lfs as they are not in good shape.

Add some salt to the tank one tablespoon to 5 gal, it will help them, but the one with the red patches on it you will lose it unless you can treat it in a seperate tank with an antibiotic treatment.
http://www.kenliz.plus.com/Salt_use.html

Thanks, i will take out the 2 in fected ones and put them into a smaller tank (5 Gal) because i am making the tank tropical after it is cycled. Thanks very much for your help. I will also post the test results tommorow.

How big are the fish as the 5gal will probably finish them off big waste producers, I would leave them in the tank if you have nothing bigger, do a water change, good luck.

I had the same problem once.... :( . And i lost three goldies, and it was because i cleaned the filter media in tap water.....not their tank water....... :unsure: . i was a newbie. :(

Update on test result, bought a nitrie kit but they had no nitrate kit so. Im gonna go back after i wake up ( i worked the night shift) and get a a sample done.

PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 1 PPM
Nitrite - 0.25 PPM
Nitrate - ?????

You have a high nitrite reading there do some water changes.

Well they are off to fishy heaven. Came home from work and found that there not swimming anymore. Thanks for your help everyone!!!!

Most reactions

Back