🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

If this were gill flukes this may be controlled with Masoten (organophosphate, not legal for food fish), praziquantel (2ppm for 3 days), formalin, potassium permanganate, and hydrogen peroxide (10 mg/L).
Praziquantel will kill gill flukes without any of that other stuff.

Organophosphates are extremely dangerous to all living things and should never be used. In addition to being harmful, most organophosphates no longer kill many fish parasites due to excessive use and misuse by various fish farms over the last 50 years.

------------------------
Gill flukes is not the main issue here. The guppy looks like it has gill flukes in addition to wounds/ sores and excess mucous. The excess mucous is the big issue and finding out the cause of this should be the first line of investigation.

------------------------
Do you have any knowledge on Flubendazole?
We don't have Flubendazole in Australia but a lot of people on the US forums used it with pretty good success. It treats a wider range or intestinal worms but also kills most invertebrates in the tank.

The reason I like Praziquantel for tapeworm and gill flukes, and Levamisole for thread/ round worms, is because they are safe for fish and have no long term side effects.

Praziquantel will kill gill flukes without any of that other stuff.

Organophosphates are extremely dangerous to all living things and should never be used. In addition to being harmful, most organophosphates no longer kill many fish parasites due to excessive use and misuse by various fish farms over the last 50 years.

------------------------
Gill flukes is not the main issue here. The guppy looks like it has gill flukes in addition to wounds/ sores and excess mucous. The excess mucous is the big issue and finding out the cause of this should be the first line of investigation.

------------------------

We don't have Flubendazole in Australia but a lot of people on the US forums used it with pretty good success. It treats a wider range or intestinal worms but also kills most invertebrates in the tank.

The reason I like Praziquantel for tapeworm and gill flukes, and Levamisole for thread/ round worms, is because they are safe for fish and have no long term side effects.
I suspect from your post Flubendazole has long term effects. Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure if Flubendazole has long term side effects because it has only been used on fish for the last 10 years or so and most of the people that have used it haven't kept the fish for many years after using it. The main issue is that it kills snails (not an issue for me, death to snails and all that), but it also kills shrimp and other creepy crawly things in the tank that people like.

It should be safe to use because most deworming products are actually quite safe as far as medications go.

Most reactions

Back