Help?!?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Kgarriott7

Reaction score
Iā€™m new to this forum. Just have a few questions as I am not a fish expert. I have a 10 gallon tank. Had it for about a year. Started off with about 6 fish. The only two that survived and are still living is the female Betta and a red tailed shark(rainbow shark). I have since then added 5 more fish(one pleco and 4 small goldfish). One of the goldfish have died and so has the sucker fish. My tank is so full of algae. A green hairy looking algae. I figured a sucker fish could help fix it. Guess not? Idk how to get rid of the algae...it is so thick u can barely see through the glass. And why are my fish constantly dying? Iā€™m assuming I need to test the water. So how do I go about doing that? Iā€™m not looking to drop hundreds of dollars on this tank. As I said before itā€™s a 10 gallon, has fake plants and decorations. I am using a bubbler for oxygen and it has a filter. Thanks for the help!

so many things wrong going on here......

a "sucker fish" is not the solution to algae....regular tank maintanance is....have you ever considered scrubbing the sides of the tank to remove the algae?

neither a betta or a rainbow shark belong in a community type tank which is what i believe you started off with,

neither a betta or a rainbow shark belong in the same tank as goldfish

you need to pick a direction and go that way.....when you don't know where you want to go, any road will take you there

I'm afraid to say that you have a lot of problems with this tank.

10 gallons is a small tank and it is suitable for a betta. On its own, no other fish. Bettas are not community fish and should be kept on their own. This applies to females as well as males.

Red tailed sharks need a much bigger tank. They grow to over 4 inches (10 cm) and need a tank with a base 120 x 45 cm (48 x 18 inches).

Goldfish - fancy ones with double tails - need at least 100 litres (26 gallons) for 1 fish, with each extra fish needing 50 litres each. Your 4 goldfish need a 250 litre (66 gallon) tank. They are also cold water fish while your other fish are tropical. If the goldfish are common goldfish or comets (with single tails) they should be in a pond not a tank.

Ples - the smallest plec is the bristlenose but even that needs a tank at least 60 x 30 cm (24 x 12 inches). At the other end of the scale is the common plec, which needs an enormous tank as it can grow well over 30 cm (12 inches) long.

The reason your fish keep dying is because you have far too many fish in small tank. Even a cycled tank won't be able to cope with the bioload from this number of fish.
You really need to take all the fish except the betta back to the shop, and while you are there buy a liquid reagent test kit. Once you get home test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite should be zero and nitrate below 20 ppm. If any of them are above these levels, you need to do a large water change to lower them. test again half an hour later to allow the new water to mix in, and if any are still above those levels, do another water change. Keep on testing and doing water changes until you have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and nitrate below 20 ppm.
I would also test your tap water for nitrate. The level in your tap water is the lowest you can get nitrate in your tank by doing water changes.

Algae grows whenever you have water and light, and if you add nutrients it grows even faster. Is the aquarium near a window or do you have a light on the tank?

If you have a light on the tank and only plastic plants in the tank, you will get algae on the glass and ornaments. Live plants will utilise light, reducing algae problems and help keep the water in better condition.
Tanks with live plants need between 6-16hours of light per day but they need at least 8 hours rest. Some good plants to try include: Water Sprite (a floating plant), narrow Vallis, Ambulia, Hygrophilla polysperma and common Amazon swordplants (plant them in the substrate). You do not need any special requirements for these plants but they do better if they get some liquid iron fertiliser (Sera Florena is a good brand) a couple of times per week, but it's not essential.

You can use a clean soap free sponge to wipe the inside of the tank down to remove the algae.

------------------------
Fish usually die from diseases caused by a dirty environment or chemical poisoning from poor water quality. How often do you do water changes and do you use dechlorinated tap water for the water change?
How much water do you normally change?
What type of filter do you have and what filter materials are in it?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you go about cleaning it?

On average you should do a 50% water change each week using dechlorinated water that has a similar chemistry and temperature to the tank water. You should also do a complete gravel clean when you do the water change. You can buy a basic gravel cleaner from any petshop. The first picture on the left "01 Standard Siphon", (at the following link) is a basic gravel cleaner. Look for something similar to this. They are not expensive usually around $10-15. You do not need a super deluxe model or anything with fancy gadgets, just a basic model with hose and siphon tube, and a clean bucket to drain the water into.
https://www.thespruce.com/aquarium-siphons-and-gravel-cleaners-1381091

Make sure the aquarium heater is turned off 15minutes before you do the water change, and turn it back on about 10minutes after you have refilled the tank.

---------------------------
Four small goldfish, a female Betta & a rainbow/ redtail shark should be ok in the tank for a little but they will eventually need a bigger home. However, at this stage I would not bother doing much apart from trying to get the tank to settle down and if the fish are still alive in 12 months time, then look at rehoming them. In the mean time do not buy any more fish.

What do you feed the fish?
At this stage feed the fish once a day, do a 30-50% water change each week, and do a gravel too. Add some live plants or reduce light to help with the algae problem. Keep us updated with how things are going.

If you lose any more fish, take a glass of tank water to the local petshop and get them to test the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Get them to write the test results down and tell us the results.

You can also take the dead fish to the petshop (in a separate container of water) and see if the shop can spot any signs of disease. Photographing the dead or sick fish and posting a link or picture for us to view can be helpful too. Also try to describing what the fish is/ was doing before it died. eg: fish was gasping at surface and turned really dark in colour.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back