Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

senatorclint1

Reaction score
Help! My pictus catfish is swimming in place in the back corner of my 10gallon tank I know it's not the recommended tank for the fish but he is in there by himself I just want to make sure he is ok the temp is fine in the tank but he comes out every now and again and makes a lap around the tank but then goes right back to swimming in place in the back right corner of the tank any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? How long has the tank been set up?

That size tank is really too small for him. They need a 55+ gallon tank. That alone could cause the problems you're seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need the data requested in the previous post, but moving beyond that for a moment...

This is a shoaling species that needs a group. Five is the minimum usually recommended. Single fish have been known to pine away, literally. This could be the problem here, from your description. But before you get more, you need at least a 4-foot tank of 55 gallons. This fish will attain close to five inches, and five of them require room.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it is predatory, so it will eat small fish as it matures. Tankmates must be selected with this in mind.

Injh future, when commenting on temperature, please let us know the actual number; "fine" doesn't tell us anything, and different fish species have sometimes very different requirements when it comes to temperature. Same applies to other parameters, water tests, etc...always mention the specific number so members will know.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back