Help!

meggofishy

Reaction score
I have no clue what this is! its growing more and more, I think that its algae but I have no clue. Please HELP!! its all the brown stuff growing on that ornament think. My oto hasn't touched the stuff he might not know its there or he might not eat it at all...

DSC00603.jpg
DSC00601.jpg

I can't really make it out in the pictures.

If its brown, its probably diatoms.  It is fairly common in new set-ups, or in areas that get less circulation.  It wipes off easily.  Just pull the ornament, give it a scrub, rinse it off and put it back.  No harm done.  Its not a bad thing, but it is unsightly.

How long are your lights on?  Shortening your photoperiod can help it from returning.  Otos sometimes eat it.

When I woke up this morning a whole bunch of it was gone. actually most of it so my oto must have eaten it. I thought it was because I just had an ammonia spike so it grew but now that everything is better it seems to have mostly cleared up. thanks for the reply
smile.png

I also leave my lights on probably for far too long, when I'm awake their on and when I go to sleep I turn them off. I could probably shorten it by a few hours but I want the plants that I put in to have a fighting chance. 

6 hours would be plenty. I have my lights all on timers. They are timed to be on when I am around, so that I can enjoy the sight. The fish don't really care or require the light.

An ammonia spike can spark diatoms as well. Incidentally, Otos are one of very few aquarium fish that will actually eat diatoms.

I do test my water on a weekly basis, my tank is not done cycling yet, I moved apartments half-way through the cycling process so its taking way longer then it should. The little algae bloom thing is shrinking now. My oto has started to eat it and the platies are munching on it as well. 

thanks for the help :)

There you go... ammonia plus light = algae.  Every time, all the time.  So, if you are dealing with ammonia issues and have an 8 hour photoperiod, algae is going to build up.  No getting around it.  Good news is that the algae will actually deal with the ammonia for you a little. ;)

perfect thanks :) 

on a sad note my oto passed away, I guess with the ammonia spike he couldn't handle it. it's pretty sad he is the first fish that I have lost in setting up my new aquarium. the others are still going strong. 

Otos are rather touchy. Sorry for your loss. I can relate as I've lost several over the past year. I have one left in my small tank and he's doing just fine.

Sorry to hear about your loss!

I can't help but add, even though you've probably heard it a million times...
Frequent water changes are essential when doing a fish-in cycle!

Good luck with the algae... and with the cycle 
good.gif

it turns out my platies are eating it all and with the ammonia spike being almost gone the algae is gone too :)

Livebearers are actually pretty good at eating algae. 

I've seen my platies poking at black beard algae as well. Wish they were more efficient at it though.
Diatoms is actually tiny microorganisms, not algae and fish do eat it but not all are good at scrubbing it off the glass and plants as good as ottos and snails.

eaglesaquarium said:
Livebearers are actually pretty good at eating algae. 

Sheesh, I wish they were......

Only certain algae.  ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back