Help !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

twingogeekeo

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yesterday lunch time i did a clean of the tank and a water change. Also with the filter being 4 weeks old i gave the foams a clean. I drained the water about 15% and then removed the filter. Rinsed them in the old water that turned black!

Then put the foams back in the filter and back into the tank and then topped the water back up with new water that had been tap treated. I tested the water and all was fine.

Today i wake up the water was a little cloudy but not overly and all the fish were fine about 10am i popped down stairs to get a drink of water and came back up to find a Gourami dead :angry: Ive done water test since and the Ammonia has gone up to 1.0PPM and the Nitrate to 20PPM - 40PPM. The Nitrite was 0PPM. Since then i have done a water change of about 70% and the guys are looking ok but its early times.

The tank is 64L and consist of:-

1 Gourami
3 Platies
3 Guppy
6 Cardinal Tetra
1 Hillstream Loach

Also a fair few live plants.

Ive also checked all the fish for white spots and other illnesses but cant see anythink. Just looking for peoples veiws on what the issue might be and what to keep on top of.

Also i think this may not have helps i trimed a few of the plants with some metal scissors while in the tank. Thinking of it im sure metal carrys Nitrate but can someone confime this. I have just ordered plastic scissors online now to use in the tank.

How did you clean the sponges? you have to clean them in old tank water, as to not destroy the bacteria in it. If you rinsed it under tap water, it's likely you caused the tank to go into another cycle. If this is the case, press on the link in my signature for advice on how to do a cycle.
In the meantime, do 40% water changes daily to keep ammonia and nitrite levels at 0

The water i drained out the tank into a bucket. Before tipping it away i cleaned the sponges in that. I cant remember if they dryed out before going back in the tank but i remember dipping the whole filter unit into the bucket before putting it back in the tank.

Super ill get on the case :)

Thank you i have done a change tonight just need to get my readings i shall keep you updated and hopefully more help can be thrown this way :rolleyes:

Ok just tested the water again since the last change the results i have are

PH: 7.6
High Range PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0PPM
Nitrite: 0PPM
Nitrate: 5.0PPM

Guessing i should check it tomorrow do a water change then check it again after.

Them readings are looking alot better. Just hope they dont shoot up in between now and 6.30 tomorrow when i get back from work.

Do you own more than one tank?, because if you do, you could put some of the media from a tank that has established media in it in the filter of this tank.

We have just bought a second tank last night of Gumtree for my girlfriend as she wants her own tank now :lol: So ill have a second tank to look after. It came with a few bits being second hand but alot wasnt any good. Got all the extra bits today (Gravel, Ornaments, Filter as the one with it was covered in thick green algae and Thermometer. So yes i have but it is now in fishless cycle to get setup ready for fish.

Thick green algae is a hopeful sign. Was that used filter still wet?

Na wasnt wet nomore but was minging! The gravel he left in the tank he said was green but looking at everything i wouldnt say it started it life green :crazy: All the stuff we are using that came with the tank ive cleaned up and algae free now. But bare in mind ive only kept Tank and heater we replaced the other bits yesterday after the misses cpent just short of £60 on extra bits that was with a LPS discount as we use them for everything plus i have a friend who works in there so that allways helps :hyper:

But back onto my tank and not my girlfriends work up today and water is cloudy if you look face on with the tank you cant really tell but if you look end to end you can. I didnt have time to do a quick check and water change as i leave the house at 6.30am to get to work but fingers crossed the fish will be ok and ill get another 30% change done tonight. I did get time to get the water ready for tonight so once i get in ill get on the case. Ill let you know before and after test results aswell.

The fish all seem happy swimming arounf but ive just tested todays water that seems to have got worse!

PH: 7.6
High Range PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.50
Nitrite: 5.0PPM
Nitrate: 40PPM

Would you suggest a big water change?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back