Help With Open Wound On Parrot Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jillstaut

Reaction score
I have a parrot fish that had an open red wound on its head. Not sure if it was a disease/ulcer or the result of a bite from my bala shark. I did see one of the shark nip at the wound area after it originally appeared. I have isolated the fish into a hospital tank and he seems to be doing fine, but I can't tell if he is improving or getting worse. The red wound is now covered by a white crust. Is that a sign of healing or is that a sign that a disease is progressivley getting worse. I've tried melafix, but that's about it so far other than isolating him. His color is good, he's eating just fine. 7-8-2011 10-59-27 PM.jpg

1. Water parameters. Not Sure
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms. Open red wound that is now covered in white crusty substance.
3. How often you do water changes and how much. I do about 15% weekly.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water. No, just some salt.
5. What tank mates are in the tank. Two Balas, another Red Parrot and a plecostomus
6. Tank size. 40 gal
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish? Nope

I'm guessing that's either; a bite from another fish (probably the other parrot) or maybe a scrape or a burn from your heater.

It should clear up fine with no meds needed if your water is tip top. There is always a bit of a risk of secondary infections, like fungus, so keep an eye out for that and treat appropriatley if necessary.

I should think you ought to be doing more water changes than 5% weekly; my tanks get 50%, and there's no need to be adding salt; none of your fish need it and it's bad for the plec.

Thanks. I edited my original post - I change about 5 gallons weekly which is just over 15%.

So you don;t think this is a disease and that he should just heal up? That's good to know. It just loks so awful! Are you saying all that white crud is a sign of healing? Will it go away eventually and will he look somewhat normal again, or will he be somewhat deformed looking? Battle scar. I guess.

i would be doing bigger waterchanges , particularly with the injury . at least 30% daily until it heals . with the stocking youve got in that size tank ( which is far from ideal anyway) water quality is going to be your enemy .

i have the same proble, with my parrot,they told me its hole in the head virus,but mine got even worse,theres some funges coming out behind her eyes. But people have been giving good advise,i just cannot find the right meds,the only thing i can find is water changes

""HITH (parasitic, common in discus and angels) is treated with metronidazole. I have used Aquarium Solutions' Metro+ effecctively.""

Quote of a reply on one of my topics
And i heard the same story about poor water quality,im strufling to get mine well again.
and also do regular water changes

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like HITH to me.

Thanks to everyone that has responded. Fish is still hanging in there and as of this morning, the white crud is all gone. There is however a quite significant indent in his head, and still looks a bit red, though not as bad as initially presented. Hopefully we're on the road to recovery. It seems hard to believe that anyone in the tank had a mouth big enough to make such a sizable wound, though as I mentioned I did see one of the balas nip at one point. But he would have had to be repeatedly nipped to cause something of that size. Either way, I'll keep him in isolation for a while longer and hope for the best.

And, I've increased the % of water change in the main tank thanks to everyone's advice. I did test the water and it is in great shape.

Ah your so lucky,then i guess its not hith,sorry fluttermoth,maybe i should take a pic of mine,shes in terrible shape.and shes making the tank so dirty... And jillstaut,did u use any meds?

oh and mine was diffrent,mine didnt make a red colour around the wound.. So sorry if i had givin wrong advice :huh:

I originally put some melafix in the tank. It was the only thing I saw at the store that sounded like anything remotely similar. Open Red Sores. But I hadn't done it in a while, just focusing on keeping him isolated and the water quality in top shape.

Most reactions

Back