Help With Mosquito Problems In Large Pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

spike123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i have a friend with a very large pond, large enough to say small lake.
i am just wondering are there any fish she could put in the pond which will eat mosquito larvea??
or even jump for low flying mosquitos?
what about roach/rudd?
i live in oxfordshire england.
any help is greatly appriciated.
thanks
spike

Most mosquito issues in ponds can be controlled by simply increasing circulation and/or removing or rearranging the pond decor. Areas such as the tops of planters and corners of the pond crammed full of plants will create dead zones in the water flow where mosquitos can breed. What kind of fish are currently in the pond? Carp (koi and goldies) will eat the eggs and larvae if there are enough of them to keep on top of it.

Most mosquito issues in ponds can be controlled by simply increasing circulation and/or removing or rearranging the pond decor. Areas such as the tops of planters and corners of the pond crammed full of plants will create dead zones in the water flow where mosquitos can breed. What kind of fish are currently in the pond? Carp (koi and goldies) will eat the eggs and larvae if there are enough of them to keep on top of it.

the pond is circler with an island in the middle its borderline lake there are currently kio in there but the mosqitos are taking over really bad.
ill mention an areator sort of thing and see what happens.
the problem is that bad my dad has to start using chemicals (hes a pest controller)
they are not harmfull to fish other wildlife or surroundings but its really expensive to do so here we are on here trying to get a natural way.
thanks for the quick reply.
spike

In many parts of the world, people use gambusia sp. for mosquito control. You might check into these. As with any fish, care will need to be taken to not introduce these guys to the wild.

In many parts of the world, people use gambusia sp. for mosquito control. You might check into these. As with any fish, care will need to be taken to not introduce these guys to the wild.

hi thanks for that.
there is no chance of them being released into the wild.
thanks again
spike

Hi there, you can also try (for future, long term control):

Sticklebacks and making the pond dragon/damsel fly friendly with a reed bed.

please do not introduce Mosquito Fish! Gambusia sp.

They are aggressive, territorial, fin nipping, nasty little fish, and although they do eat mosquito larvae, will much prefer easier prey.

(look up their introduction to Australia to control mossies).

Increasing surface flow is definately a good idea.

Orfe might be another option, ive seen quite a few tank insects of the surface and just above, there also a bit more colourful than rudd and roach so might look a little better.

I know a lot of people here in Illinois that keep gambusia. A rather unattractive fish but I guess it does a good job, because people here seem to love them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back