Help to start - first 30L tank

I think @NannaLou has one of those tanks, she'll be able to tell you better about the filter.

It just occurred to me that in post #119 I put the wrong link in, so I edited my post to change it to the right link. Which link did you look at?

It just occurred to me that in post #119 I put the wrong link in, so I edited my post to change it to the right link. Which link did you look at?
I didnā€™t see the one thatā€™s there now. It looks quite good but how is it in terms of the filter?

I think @NannaLou has one of those tanks, she'll be able to tell you better about the filter.
I have got the ā€œ30ā€ size in that range of tanks, but it only holds 25 ltrs. The worry I had with the filter was that it said to change the cartridge every month. The cartridge was a sealed unit and I knew enough about cycling to know if I threw that away every month Iā€™d be throwing away the beneficial bacteria, as Iā€™d already got the tank I used a knife to prize the filter housing off of the inside of the tank and now have an Eheim filter that I can wash the sponges with.

I must say, Iā€™m only in the middle of sorting my second tank but Iā€™d go with the more basic ā€˜glass box with a lidā€ and add my own filter and heater than some of these ā€œall-in-onesā€ that look pretty but arenā€™t really very practical.

I think we need @NannaLou and @Sunnyspots to talk about the filter. I think NannaLou's is one of the smaller versions, while Sunnyspots has a larger version.
The filter is good. It has carbon but it is not removable as it is part of the sponge, so you would need to put in a different sponge if you wanted to remove the carbon. My only concern, and I don't know if it applies to the smaller tanks, is that it is over powered and wouldn't suit a betta. But it might be possible to negotiate the next filter down at the shop.

I think we need @NannaLou and @Sunnyspots to talk about the filter. I think NannaLou's is one of the smaller versions, while Sunnyspots has a larger version.
Iā€™m not at home at the moment, but mine is the smallest Eheim, keeps the water lovely on the lowest setting (I have one male Betta). Iā€™d highly recommend the Eheim heaters and filters.

That may indeed be a better option.

@marklcfc this is what Sunnyspots means.

An air powered sponge has two parts - the sponge filter itself and an air pump which sits outside the tank and is connected to the filter by airline tubing. When I had a betta I used one in his tank. This is what I had
Filter part

Pump part

How would I set it up? Wonā€™t the filter that comes with the tank I buy be connected to the top of it?
I just want a filter that wonā€™t require changes / modifying.

How would I replace the filter that comes with the tank with that?
And how would I clean it? I was only planning to use existing water to wipe the filter I wasnā€™t expecting it to be a complicated process

also if Iā€™ve bought the filter and heater separate do I need an all in one? Is there something else that I can use if Iā€™ve bought those two things themself?

This is just a filter, no heater involved. That would still need to be bought separately.

The filter with the tank will come in a box, not attached to the aquarium. This one can just be put on the side of the tank instead. It will come with instructions but any problems you can always ask on here. Someone might already own one.

Cleaning should be easy as you just put the whole thing in your removed tank water and squeeze the rectangular sponge bits a few times until the water coming out of them is clearer. All filters need this sort of cleaning, not a wipe down, but with many others you have to open them up and take out the sponge and squeeze it in the tank water, so a few more steps.

Most reactions

Back