Help! Strange Things Going on in Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hazarrd

Reaction score
I have a 70 gallon freshwater tank. As of four weeks ago, I had 2 Denison/Roseline barbs (7+ years old each), 2 Australian Rainbow Fish, 10 Neon Tetras, 6 Lyretail guppies, and 1 catfish. Four weeks back, one of the barbs managed to jump out of a small opening in the back of the tank. My dog immediately ran over and grabbed the barb in his mouth. After some coaxing, I got the barb back and into the tank. He was in bad shape, but a few hours later he regained some color and began swimming around again. However, it was clear the dog got at least one bite through and punctured the barb's skin all the way from one side to the other. I didn't have much hope. Sure enough, the barb was dead 24 hours later. All of this happened while I was on vacation and my wife wasn't in a position to remove the barb from the tank. He sat in the tank dead for around 3 days. Since that time, there has been strange growth on a big piece of driftwood I've had in the tank forever (see attached pictures). I've never seen any growth on the driftwood since I've had the tank. I took the driftwood out and rinsed it off thoroughly, which temporarily got rid of the growth. However, it quickly came back within a week. Today, I also noticed some very strange infection or growth near the eye of one of the Austrian Rainbow Fish (see attached pictures; also included one that shows the "healthy" side as comparison). I have no clue what to do. Would greatly appreciate any advice as soon as possible.

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 86
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 96
What's the white spots in the water?
If it's air bubbles, turn the pump off and take a couple more pics of the fish.

The stuff on the driftwood if fungus or algae and nothing to worry about.

The rainbowfish could have a bacterial infection but I need a better picture of the bad side.

Have you checked the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and general hardness (GH)?
If yes, what were the results?

Australian and New Guinea Rainbowfish do best in water a with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm. If the water is less than this, you can use a Rift Lake water conditioner to increase the pH and hardness.

In the mean time, wipe the inside of the glass down and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Post new pics asap (without the white things). :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back