Help! Silver tip tetra belly swollen

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blueaquariums

Reaction score
First Post. Just noticed my silver tip tetra with a huge belly, the skin around it looks sore. He or she is still active but struggling slightly. Any idea what this is? Got a photo attached.

Thanks all

Attachments

• 20180426_190555.jpg
    20180426_190555.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 503
Are the scales sticking out at all? Is there any way you can isolate the fish (a clean ice cream container floating in the tank would do), as it might be infectious, and the other fish might start picking on it.

In the longer term, we really need more details of your set up before we can hazard a diagnosis (nearly all fish 'diseases' have an environmental cause).

Size of tank, how long it's been set up, what fish you have, the results of any water tests, as well as anything else you can tell us, would all really help :)

Are the scales sticking out at all? Is there any way you can isolate the fish (a clean ice cream container floating in the tank would do), as it might be infectious, and the other fish might start picking on it.

In the longer term, we really need more details of your set up before we can hazard a diagnosis (nearly all fish 'diseases' have an environmental cause).

Size of tank, how long it's been set up, what fish you have, the results of any water tests, as well as anything else you can tell us, would all really help :)

Thank you. Yes, scales are slightly exposed in the sense it looks blood shot. I do have a container and I'll probably isolate it

My tank is
37" H 120" W 18"
Ammonia 0.25 (Reading after feeding)
Nitrite 0
Nirate 0.25
Ph 7.51
1200L

Fish:
Discus
Platies
Angel
Silver tip tetras
Red claw crab
Torpedo

Running 7 months

2 wave makers for surface agitated
2 air stones
1 fluval fx6
RODI water
28.5C temperature

Hope this is sufficient

That's a great help, thank you so much :)

Do you use the API ammonia test, by any chance? That often looks like it's showing a slight positive when it is zero. Anyway, I can't see anything in any of your stats that give much cause for concern and if all the other fish are okay, then we can probably rule out environmental problems, although I do have to register concern over the crab; they don't really mix with fish and a prone to attacking fish when they're sleeping.

If the scales are sticking out it's probably dropsy. Unfortunately, dropsy's a symptom, rather than a disease in itself, but it's normally associated with organ failure and the fish are rarely curable, I'm afraid to say.

You could try a general medication (I've always had good results with esha 2000), but I'd certainly treat the fish in isolation (if you can catch it in a 1200l !); you don't want to risk the rest of your stock.

That's a great help, thank you so much :)

Do you use the API ammonia test, by any chance? That often looks like it's showing a slight positive when it is zero. Anyway, I can't see anything in any of your stats that give much cause for concern and if all the other fish are okay, then we can probably rule out environmental problems, although I do have to register concern over the crab; they don't really mix with fish and a prone to attacking fish when they're sleeping.

If the scales are sticking out it's probably dropsy. Unfortunately, dropsy's a symptom, rather than a disease in itself, but it's normally associated with organ failure and the fish are rarely curable, I'm afraid to say.

You could try a general medication (I've always had good results with esha 2000), but I'd certainly treat the fish in isolation (if you can catch it in a 1200l !); you don't want to risk the rest of your stock.
Ha! Yes, API. Any recommendations for better test results?

Thank you so much for your advice, it's most likely so..I have now separated him to allow the fish to recover or at best not to contaminate other fish if he dies and gets eaten.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back