Help - Red Spots On Rosy Barb

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clairelouise15

Reaction score
Hi - new to all this but hoping someone can help me. One of my rosy barbs has developed red spots around the base of his fins - what is this, can the other fish catch it and how do I cure it??

Please Help

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
How big are the spots do they look like small red pin heads spot, if so its can septicemia.

Red spots on skin can be caused by:
Regarding the small red dot, small pinprick like haemorrhages (called petechiae) can be due to a local lesion, a generalised septicaemia or toxaemia caused by acute viral and bacterial infections.

Hi - thanks for replying.

I have been to the shop where I bought the fish from today and they said its bacterial septicemia so I am treating it with Myxazin.

Tank is 60 litres (Biorb) fish currently are 2 platys, 2 rosy barbs and 4 serpia tetras. They have all looked really healthy and perky but noticed the male rosy barb wasn't his usualy self which is when I noticed the red blotches. (had tetras for a while now and the others about 1 month)

Readings are:-

PH = 8
Ammonia = between 0 and 0.6
No2 = 0.1
No3 = 10ish

I always struggle to match the colour of these readings to the chart so I always go up to the nearest colour rather than down - is this right?

Thanks for your help

Bad water quality.
I would preform a water change.
Tetra shouldn't be kept in less than groups of six.
Myxazin no good it only treats the water you need an internal bacterial med.
They should of sold you anti internal bacteria med by interpet.
Septicemia very hard to cure once it progresses as it blood poisoning.

How long has the tank been set up.
http://www.lifeforceonline.co.uk/fish_dise...product590.html

Ok - will perform a water change. The charts aren't very easy to understand - what is the perfect water readings??

Will also get some of the treatment you suggest.

Tank has been set up for about 3 months (although didn't make a note on calender so its a rough guide). They didn't tell me Tetra's should be kept in 6's, I assume I need to wait until the Barb is better before I get a couple more? (do they have to be the same serpae or can I get a different variety to make up the 6)

Thanks

Ammonia and nitrite should be 0
How often do you maintain the tank.
I wouldn't add anymore fish till about six weeks with having septicemia.

I've had different people tell me different things about how often to perform water changes - the biorb brochure says once every 6 weeks other people have said unless the readings are worrying they don't bother and I've read on here people saying you should do this every week.

In the past I've only done it 6 weeks with the filter change, I wipe the inside of the tank in between if necessary (Although I've only had to do this once apart from at water changes) - I test the water regularly and up until now (based on what you have told me about the 0's) its been perfect. What is your advice with regards to water changes?

I have been out and bought the internal bacterial med you suggested by Interpet - I used 1 dose of the Myxazin yesterday before I read your post so am I ok to just stop that and start today with teh Interpet?

Thanks for you help its much appreciated - I feel like a complete idiot for not knowing more myself

Don't know much about biorbs but fish keepers say they don't make very good tanks.
You are meant to do a gravel vac and water change once a week.
I would post in tropical discussion about the biorb more members go over there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back