Help Reading This Ph And Loss Of Fish After Water Changes

I would stick with the 50% water changes once per week. For me mineral levels tend to go up if I do less than that. I would also recommend you push your siphon hose into the substrate in places to reduce any organic buildup in the gravel. Organic buildup in the substrate can cause algae issues. If you do that in a random place every water change you will gradually reduce organic levels in the substrate. For the rest of the substrate just run the hose over the surface to remove surface buildup.

As to the rule of 1" of fish for every gallon, it is really a recommendation rather than a rule. I think it works best for fish that are 4" in size. For larger fish I think it over estimates how many fish you can have. for small fish it probably underestimates how many fish you can have. Most don't apply this rule to shrimp and snails because they have a "small effect on bioload" of the tank. In My opinion you could probably safely have 8 small (endlers / guppies) fish in there and a total of 3 amino shrimp and 3 Nerites. Unlike many tanks you have rapid plant growth which will help keep the nitrogen and organic levels safe, and therefore your water safe for the fish.

Since I haven't seen any new post in about a week I assume everything is going well.

IMG_1321.JPG
I hate to jinx myself but all is well right now ***looks at fishtank again to double check.

I tested two days ago and ph closest to 7.2,
Kh looks to be 40 exactly, chlorine 0, Gh appears to be spot on at 75, nitrites 0 and nitrates same as always super low about 10. All with tetra test strips.

I just returned from lfs to get some more RO and bought an amazing piece of spider wood that is boiling in a lobster pot.

I'll do some rearranging to make this work because I love it.

Oh also I can't put the siphone into my gravel...it's too fine and gets sucked up ...I've tried with numerous different sized vacuumes and hoses...nothing works. Should I stirr up the parts that aren't planted to release all the crap when I'm doing a w/c?! I worried doing that would release to much toxins into the water?!

Last edited:
I would stick with the 50% water changes once per week. For me mineral levels tend to go up if I do less than that. I would also recommend you push your siphon hose into the substrate in places to reduce any organic buildup in the gravel. Organic buildup in the substrate can cause algae issues. If you do that in a random place every water change you will gradually reduce organic levels in the substrate. For the rest of the substrate just run the hose over the surface to remove surface buildup.

Sorry....when I responded in the last post above this one I was on my phone and didn't realize the quoting feature doesn't play well with mobiles (or I'm too dumb to figure it out)... either way I'm going to repeat myself just incase you didn't see my prior post. And so the answer will be with the question.
My substrate is very fine and gets sucked up into vacuum hoses and such. I've tried numerous different sizes and whatnot but nothing works. And I have a ton of plants so there isn't much empty ground space.
That being said....should I rustle up the few empty patches with a fork or something while water changing? I use to do this but then thought I was releasing too many toxins at once so I stopped.

As to the rule of 1" of fish for every gallon, it is really a recommendation rather than a rule. I think it works best for fish that are 4" in size. For larger fish I think it over estimates how many fish you can have. for small fish it probably underestimates how many fish you can have. Most don't apply this rule to shrimp and snails because they have a "small effect on bioload" of the tank. In My opinion you could probably safely have 8 small (endlers / guppies) fish in there and a total of 3 amino shrimp and 3 Nerites. Unlike many tanks you have rapid plant growth which will help keep the nitrogen and organic levels safe, and therefore your water safe for the fish.

Ooooo I like hearing that! I think I'll stick with only one snail as I don't want babies. I may add another type of shrimp as you suggested a while back as long as I can quarantine first to make sure its not carrying. I don't want babies of these either.

But I think I will maybe try four more endlers next visit to the LFS, which will make a total of 7 fishies. Hopefully my water stays on this path and I can do that next week.

Oh and all of my water parameters are in that last post (above this one). My GH came down to a solid 75. I feel like that's pretty good,...right?

Monday will be a week since w/c. So I will do another then.

I'm excited to be on the right path....finally.

I can't thank you enough!

Oh and I hadn't been online in a while because I'd been busy with a week old kitten I found the other night on my property letting the dogs out to potty. Finally got her squared away with a friend who is bottle feeding her every two hours and basically being a mommy until she's ready for adoption.
......anyone want a kitten?! haha

Last edited:
Oh also I can't put the siphone into my gravel...it's too fine and gets sucked up ...I've tried with numerous different sized vacuumes and hoses...nothing works. Should I stirr up the parts that aren't planted to release all the crap when I'm doing a w/c?! I worried doing that would release to much toxins into the water?!

most of this material is a solid and should have minimal impact on the heath of the tank. and staring it up shouldn't cause any problems. But keeping organics levels low is helpful in keeping algae under control. If it is just too difficult to do in your tank fine.

As to babies talk to the fish stores. Some will accept excess fish or shrimp as long as they have a empty tank available. They might be happy to accept good quality shrimp. That would give you a way to keep your tank stocking stable.

most of this material is a solid and should have minimal impact on the heath of the tank. and staring it up shouldn't cause any problems. But keeping organics levels low is helpful in keeping algae under control. If it is just too difficult to do in your tank fine.

well I'm going to be making a huge mess this water change removing the old wood and rock and trying to stuff that new spider wood into the tank...so I'll be stirring the bottom up pretty good. Fingers crossed all will be well.

Poor little fish are about to have a poop tornado.

This has been an interesting one to follow :) glad it is coming to a close. Ofcourse the obligatory pictures of a stocked tank are required :p

This has been an interesting one to follow :) glad it is coming to a close. Ofcourse the obligatory pictures of a stocked tank are required :p

It has been the biggest help to me to be here and this all spelled out for me by way of advice and have it all documented.

It's been such a learning experience...as all things fish keeping are!

I just finished removing some decor and putting in the spider wood. (And water change)
MY GOD WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

I had to cut in half to get it thru the ridiculously small opening and then I just mangled the entire inside trying to get it just right (which somehow I'm sure it never really will be).

Now that it's in place I'll never be able to get to any of my plants...so...I'm not sure where I go from here. May have to only use a piece of it but I want the whole thing because it's so darn cool.

I'll post a pic tomorrow once the dust settles.

I just hope it doesn't throw off any of my numbers that I've been working so hard to get normal.
I'll keep a close eye on.

I did 50% water change last night and removed a piece of wood and a coral cave. I added the spider wood that I boiled on and off for about 6 hours and then let sit in bucket of tap overnight.

I just tested the water about 20 hours after w/c which was 50% RO and 50%tap (which tested very close, almost exact to tank.

My readings have fluctuated a little:

Ph: is down slightly looks to be between 6.8-7.2
Kh: up slightly between 40-80
Chlorine: still 0
Gh: steady 75
Nitrites: still 0
Nitrates: seem down a little to almost zero...just slight color.

IMG_1378.JPG

Looks nice!

ps. Threadfin rainbowfish 2/$8.99 at the Aquarium Center. Just saying' ;)

Mark

Very nice

thank you!

ps. Threadfin rainbowfish 2/$8.99 at the Aquarium Center. Just saying' ;)

I'd actually gotten a pair of these a while back on a whim (my very first and last OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THESE).

Unfortunately it was while my water parameters were going haywire because my water conditioner needed restocked and my ph had gone down to 6 or lower. I was shocking my fish with every water change.

Plus I'm not sure they'll do well with endlers in the long run as endlers are super fast and feisty little piggies and the threadfin is so peaceful and slow...I think they may starve!

Did you go to Aquarium Center this past weekend? I was there on Saturday for RO but came home with that cool piece of spiderwood.

I must say, as beautiful as the new store is, the help is.....not so helpful.

I was just kidding; I remember you bought a pair of them before. I got an email notification from AC of the new fish they have and noticed them.

I only get there a few times a year. I've only been to the new location once. I know what you mean about the staff. I actually liked the last place better! This place is more spacious, but there aren't as many display tanks and I don't like the tanks all the way on the floor. And the non-fish room is a lot smaller.

I'm tempted to run down and look at the zebra angelfish they have advertised, but the last time I went, they were all in quarantine. Why advertise them then?

Your tank is looking great!

MZ

I was just kidding; I remember you bought a pair of them before. I got an email notification from AC of the new fish they have and noticed them.

I only get there a few times a year. I've only been to the new location once. I know what you mean about the staff. I actually liked the last place better! This place is more spacious, but there aren't as many display tanks and I don't like the tanks all the way on the floor. And the non-fish room is a lot smaller.

I'm tempted to run down and look at the zebra angelfish they have advertised, but the last time I went, they were all in quarantine. Why advertise them then?

Your tank is looking great!

MZ

Ah, yes...that was a lesson learned. Cute little fish though.

This shop is definitely prettier but it's a lot less for the real hobbiests and more for show. And yes, the non fish room is much smaller.

But it does seem cleaner and the fish seem happy and healthy which is a very good thing!

I did actually take notice to a large blue striped angel fish that was very pretty. I'm use to seeing the silver and black. I think it was in a community tank.

As for my tank....I'm afraid I made a mistake adding that wood. I took all the precautions of boiling and letting soak but it seems to be messing with my little eco system.

Oddly my plants don't seem as green and my walls are covered in algae (barely noticeable but makes the glass appear cloudy).

Also tanins coloring a little. I thought I boiled most of it out.

i suppose I have to ride this out a while and see what happens.

I feel like I railroaded my progress and I'm pretty bummed.

Last edited:
I bought a really pretty blue angelfish there last year. Usually, I study the fish for a long time before I buy one, but this one I felt a little sorry for because he was hiding from the others and I bought it quickly. When I got him home, I realized he had such bad fin rot that his dorsal fin and tail actually disappeared by the end of the day! Almost completely gone! I guess my tank was a good place for him, because I nursed him back and he (or she) is one beautiful fish today!

Too bad about that wood. I didn't realize spider wood had so many tannins. It is so light! I usually sit my wood in water for weeks before putting it in my aquarium. I guess it would be a pain to remove it and soak it somewhere else?

How long have you had it? It seems odd to affect your plants so soon. I did add some manzanita branches once and the branches and the glass became COVERED with a whitish fuzz. Everywhere! But, it went away on its own in a few days. I have no idea why.

Mark

IMG_1408.PNG
I bought a really pretty blue angelfish there last year. Usually, I study the fish for a long time before I buy one, but this one I felt a little sorry for because he was hiding from the others and I bought it quickly. When I got him home, I realized he had such bad fin rot that his dorsal fin and tail actually disappeared by the end of the day! Almost completely gone! I guess my tank was a good place for him, because I nursed him back and he (or she) is one beautiful fish today!

Awww, I love that. I'm so glad you saw him/her and saved and nursed and now it's happy and beautiful! Great story!

Too bad about that wood. I didn't realize spider wood had so many tannins. It is so light! I usually sit my wood in water for weeks before putting it in my aquarium. I guess it would be a pain to remove it and soak it somewhere else?

I'm actually wondering if it is in fact spiderwood and not redmoor wood.
I was searching around online last. Ugh this and the more I saw pics the less mine looked like true spiderwood but it looks almost identical to a photo I found of redmoor wood (which I'll try to attach below)

How long have you had it? It seems odd to affect your plants so soon. I did add some manzanita branches once and the branches and the glass became COVERED with a whitish fuzz. Everywhere! But, it went away on its own in a few days. I have no idea why.

I just bought it Saturday and boiled about 6 hours (changing the water once and starting over about halfway thru). Then I soaked overnight in tap and it didn't leach any tanins so I thought I was ok.

It seems to be affecting my little ground cover plants that have the name Cardinal in them. They almost seem wilty and not bright green like they were...more droopy and dull.

Mark

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back