Help needed!

William

TFF Founder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I see you must have read the topic title and hopefully some of you will be willing to help us :)

At the moment we are looking for fish information for our fish index, I know there must be a huge diversity of fish kept here, I've added the fish which I know about myself and now require help to fill in the gaps which are quite numerous I'm afraid in the fish index!

The link to our main website (in case you did not know is http://www.fishforever.co.uk the page in question is http://www.fishforever.co.uk/fishindex.html , Simply email me at [email protected] , post it here, or PM the information to me, pictures are also greatly appreciated to make it the best resource on the internet to match the superb quality of the forums :) The layout ideally should be similar to what it is for the fish already on the website with all the sections having some information.

So if you have a bit of spare time and would like to help out then please do!! Each fish which you do will have your name or forum handle on the page for credits.

Thankyou for making this site where it is today who knows where we will be tommorow! :)

Ok...I wrote these out (Not bragging or anything :p ;) )

Bibliography:

Freshwater Aquarium Fishes, John A. Dawes

Comon Names: Blue Limia / Black Limia
Scientific Name: Limia Melanogaster
Synonym: Poecilia Melanogaster
Designation: Tropical
Geographical Distribution: Jamaica and Haiti.
Size: Males up to around 4cm, females 6.5cm
Water PRef: CHemical comp no cricial, however extremes of pH should be avoided. Temp range of approx 22-26 deg.
Diet: Will eat wide range of dried and livefood. Diet MUST contain some vegetable matter. Algae on tank is ok
Breeding: Blue Limia males are very active and constantly chase females of their own and occasionaly other species. Around 20 fry will be produed around every 6-8 weeks.
Additional Info: Limias, in general were transfereed to the genus Poecilia by Rosen and Bailey in their major reclassification of livebearers in 1963. More recently research by Rivas in 1978 indicated that the Limias shared enough characteristics to warrant their reinstatement as a genus. Officially, therefore, they are 'as they were' and all the Limias are once more regarded as members of the genus Limia.

Hump-backed or Black barred Limia
Scientific Name: Limia nigrofasciata
Synonym: Poecilia nigrofasciata
Designation Tropical
Geographical Distribution: Haiti
Size: Males up to 5.5cm females 6cm
Water Pref: Slitly alkaline around 26 deg. Higher temp will reduce the time interval between broods of fry.
Diet: as blue Limia
Breeding: Same as Blue limia except 50 fry not 20.
Additional info: Limia nigrofasciata is a warmth-loving specis in which temp has been reported to play a part in sex determination, with females becoming more numerous the higher the temp at which developing juveniles are maintaind.

Cuban Limia
Scientific Name: Limia Vittata
Synonym: Poecilia vittata
Geographical Distribution: Cuba
Size: Males aroudn 6.5 cm....females around 10cm.
Water pref: As Hump-Backed Limia
Diet: Same as other Limia
Breeding: Same as hump-backed limia
Additional Info: Peaceful attractyive speicies occurs in at least two forms in the wild: spooted and unspotted. It will easily hybridise with other Limias and possibly, some other Poecilids.

I'll post more with time.

Common Names: Blind Dave Fish, BLind Cave Tetra or Blind Characin
Scientific Name: Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus.
Synonym: Anoptichthys jordani
Designation Tropical, but can tolerate warmer cold water
Size: Around 9cm (Both sexes)
Water PRef: Slightly hard, alkaline between 18-30 deg
Diet: All food, some vegetable component
Breeding: Egg scaterors Males are egg eaters...MUST be removed.
Additional info: Scientific evidence including the natural occurance of fertile hybrids between the Blind Cave Fish and its assumend ancestor, the fully sighted and pigmented Mexican Tetra indicates that both fish belong to the same specis. Their apparently huge differences can, in fact be reduced to relatively simple and minor genetic diffs, such as the presence /aabsence of pigment and the full/arrested development of the eyes.

Common Names: Black Widow, Black Tetra
Scientific Name: Gymnocorymbus ternetzi
Geographical Distribution: Central South America
Size: Approx 5cm
Water Pref: Temp 24-28 deg (higher for breeding) any type of water without extreemes.
Diet: All food but pref floating/surface insects
Breedign: scatters eggs on plants, will hatch in 2 days.
Add info: Black widows are shoaling fish and should therfore, not be kept either singly or in pairs. This is predominantly a surface species requring other midwater and bottom feding in its tank to ensure that no bits of food are left uneaten.

Common Name: Bleeding Heart Tetra
Scientific Name: Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma
Synonym: Hyphessobrycon rubrostigma
Geographical Distriubtion: Upper Amazon basin
Size: up to 8cm
Breeding: not easy. Spawning is typical charcin fashion
Add info: Shoaler

Brilliant I'll get it on the website :D got anymore :thumbs:

I was searching the net to find a site with loads of info and here is one....http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/ryan_88/index.html

Great man...hey ur from london isn't it like hell hot down there...here in aus land its freezing man its like 14 deg ;) probably nothing in europe though. I used to live in Europe I migrated here. I lived in Poland. :p

Commion name: The tiger shovelnose catfish.
scientific name:phseudoplatystoma faciatium
distribution: the amozon, la plata basin also east of the andys.
max size: wild 60"
captivity 36"
diet: fish flesh, freshwater crabs, shrimps and small mammals.
minimum aquarium size: 96"x48"x36"
water: slightly acidic and soft.
temp: 22C-26C
breeding: egglayer. too big to breed in captivity, may be bred in large mud ponds.
notes: needs a huge tank and excelent filtration. two water changes a week are benaficial. don't get one of these fish unless you can accomodate it when fully grown. It has an extreemly large mouth capable of eating smaller tankmates.

here's some for the saltwater index.

Common name: The powderblue tang.
family: Acanthuridae
scientific name: Acanthurus leucosternon
size:25cm (10")
diet: herbivorus, dried seaweed is a favourite.
Notes: this fish is prone to white spot. even netting this fish can cause an outbreak. one of the bestways to overcome whitespot is to keep it well fed. Don't under any circumstances keep this fish with any other acantherus species because they will almost certanly murder one another. It may be possable to get royund this problem in a huge tank 1500+ litres.

not sure how to post pictures here so see "members aquarium pictures" for piccys.

common name: the weedy scorpian fish
scientific name: Rhinopius frondosa
size: 10"
diet: smaller fish
notes: this is one of my favourite fish. these are extreemly rare. It is not known wether or not that they are rare in the wild or that the divers simply just don't see them. When they do become available in captivity, they carry a heafty price tag. anything between £500-1500. when first imported. they will normally only eat live fish. they are relativly easy to convert to dead foods by feeding whitebait on a stick or in tongs.

Common names:Shovelnose catfish/Duckbill catfish

Scientific name:Sorubim lima

Family:pimelodidae

Distrubution:Amazon and its tributaries

Maximum size: 24" though 12 to 15 is more common in captivity

Diet:Carnivor that will accept all live foods and meaty frozen foods, predator that
will eat smaller tankmates.

Minimum tank size:Tank should be at least 48" long by 15" deep,height is unimportant.

Water:Not fussy of water as long as it is low in nitrates,can tolerate hardness to 20 dGH and pH to 7.8

Temp:23 to 30 oC

Breeding:Unknown in captivity,it is beleived the fish makes a nest from leaf litter in which to keep eggs/fry

Notes:Tankmates should be at least 4" to avoid being eaten.The fish prefers a planted tank and needs a flat rock or piece of bogwood to rest on and launch its self from when feeding.If possible keep more than one,the fish are sociable and become more active when kept as a pair or group.

Use picture from members pics,i think there was one up for FOTM not long ago.

Common name:Ceylonese green snakehead

Scientific name:Channa orientallis

Family:Channidae

Distribution:Common across asia

Maximum size:12" 4 to 8 more common in aquaria

Diet:Carnivor,will take live and meaty frozen foods,Smaller tankmates may be eaten

Minimum tanksize:30" long by 12" wide,larger tanks are needed if keeping more than one specimin.A shallow tank is prefferable.

Water:Not fussy,hardness to 20 dGH and pH to 7.6

Temperature: 23 to 26 oC

Breeding:Keep a group of at least 6 to achieve a pair.Once a pair has formed remove all others or they will be killed.
After a courtship the female releases the eggs which float,they are collected by the male who takes them into his mouth.The fry hatch after 9-10 days and are free swimming,they are tended to by both parents.Do not remove the fry too early due to this active parental care.

Notes:Tankmates should be equal sized or they may be eaten.Species is a mouth brooder.In the wild the animals live in small ponds which dry up in the summer,the animals hop across land to find new pools.

Use the pic from members pictures,ill dig it out for you.

heres one for marine equipment.

Calcium reactors

when we talk about calcium reactors, we are not talking about something from a nucleur power plant. they are much more simple than a lot of people think. you have a vessle which has a circulation pump and some calcium based media in it. there are then three (normally) airline sized holes drilled in it at variouse points depending on the make and moddle. one is a tank water IN pipe, one is a CO2 (gas) IN and the other is a calcium enriched tankwater out pipe. basically the aquarium water is pumped through at a slow rate (so many drips per minuit) CO2 gas is then injected into the reactor. this tthen dissolves in the water to become carbonic acid. this acid then reacts with the media and dissolves the surface layer. as this dissolves calcium is released and this is then forced out of the reactor by fresh salt water from the aquarium which has had its calcium used up by the corals.

I will post the pictures of a modle in the members aquarium pics section.

Most reactions

Back