Help my sand poisoned my fish

Well, I HATE SAND! That being said (again), I am in the process of setting up my 55G with Quckcrete play sand. I had to wash it and wash it in buckets and then still had to fill the tank half way up 3 times and drain it to get water clear. All is good now but no fish in there yet. I would get rid of that sand and start over with the Quickcrete. I think the biggest problem was as @Byron said. Never leave fish in a tank when changing substrate. All will work out slowly. Slow and easy wins the race. I know you feel so bad physically. Wish we could come and help you. :)

Well, I HATE SAND! That being said (again), I am in the process of setting up my 55G with Quckcrete play sand. I had to wash it and wash it in buckets and then still had to fill the tank half way up 3 times and drain it to get water clear. All is good now but no fish in there yet. I would get rid of that sand and start over with the Quickcrete. I think the biggest problem was as @Byron said. Never leave fish in a tank when changing substrate. All will work out slowly. Slow and easy wins the race. I know you feel so bad physically. Wish we could come and help you. :)
Yeah. I have them out now :) I was advised in another thread to leave them in while changing but it's all good now. I managed to get a little bit of water to test and ammonia was in between 0 and 0.25 and the nitrite was the same. I think it is as byron said :)

I donā€™t get you people. You like bright un-real gravel that looks like it jumped right off the TV out of a Lucky Charms commercial. :rofl:

Why donā€™t you like sand? I think itā€™s easier to clean and much cheaper than gravel. :nod:

I donā€™t get you people. You like bright un-real gravel that looks like it jumped right off the TV out of a Lucky Charms commercial. :rofl:

Why donā€™t you like sand? I think itā€™s easier to clean and much cheaper than gravel. :nod:
The bright gravel can be cool depending on the theme you're going for or if you are trying to match furniture in the room

I guess so...

I just think a fish would prefer to see something a little more close to home.

I also think it looks better. But thatā€™s just me and my weird opinions. :nod: :fish:

Ive used play sand hate rinsing it 100 times. Im currently using black diamond blasting sand. Rinsed it once dropped it in, minimal clouding, clear in the morning. It also doesnt kick up dust when disturbed like play sand.
Having said that id never change substrate with fish in. Too much junk in substrate that gets into water column so i agree with byron and those who have surmised the problem was due to anaerobic stuff released that was trapped in old substrate.

Well, that was rude! I had a bad experience with sand. All Iā€™m saying. @PheonixKingZ, Iā€™ll put any one of my tanks up against any of yours as far as eye appeal any day. :)

Hmmmm. Does that mean I should chuck the sand?
No, Iā€™m using it right now too for my cories. I started a whole hornets nest once for not liking sand so now I say, ā€œTo each his own.ā€ Everyone lives by experiences. You should be fine. I would suggest getting some Malaysian Trumpet snails or even some cories to help stir the sand and help prevent pockets. :)

No, Iā€™m using it right now too for my cories. I started a whole hornets nest once for not liking sand so now I say, ā€œTo each his own.ā€ Everyone lives by experiences. You should be fine. I would suggest getting some Malaysian Trumpet snails or even some cories to help stir the sand and help prevent pockets. :)
I am planning on cories, and maybe kuhlis..I was meant should I toss it since it might have been the sand causing the problem and not me stirring up the gravel?

Most reactions

Back