Help?! My molly is attacking new fish?

I think what is happening is that your white butterfly skirt tetra's are biting the fins of Molly. This is because the white butterfly skirt tetra are a semi-aggressive fish. They bite the fins of other fish. Now, that could to any non-Attenborough fanatic seem like nothing important. BUT, I am a Attenborough fanatic. In blue planet there is a scene where a cleaner wrasse takes a bite out of a Manta ray and her partner chases her around their coral home. And then David Attenborough says "This is the fish equivalent of a stern telling off". So I THINK your white butterfly skirt tetra are biting the fins of molly and he is chasing them as a way of saying "please stop or don't do that".

Hello. Also after looking at behaviour of Mollies, I noticed they get aggressive if there is many males chasing a female OR, not enough room or poor water parameters. Your tank could be too small and check the water.

They are glow skirt tetra and are nippy. The molly is cowering and hiding. You need a second tank for the molly, otherwise he may die from the stress.
As mentioned, he needs harder water than tetra, GH should be over 15dH or over 250ppm. If your water is too soft you could add a calcerous substrate to the molly tank to boost the GH.

Most reactions

Back