[Help Me] Cichlid Looks Like Its Dying :( :( :(

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

xlLiquidlx

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently purchased a Fluval edge 46L, it has been running for about 3 weeks now. It started with 5 African Cichlids and 1 bristle nose catfish. now its down to 3 Cichlids. I did have a long air stone cross the back of it but it caused to much splashing and made water go everywhere with the bubbles breaking the surface. I took out the stone and let it run for a week the fish seemed fine without it. Is it bad not to have the aeration? i done a water change today and my Red Jewel cichlid seems to be gasping? flaring gills every so often and moving mouth alot and just lazing around the tank. it is normally very active? was it the water change that done this or the water has no air :/ i dont know what to do ?? some advise would be super helpful, my fish isnt looking very healthy at the moment :(

- http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/img2639r.jpg/

- http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img2641w.jpg/

- http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/img2642dg.jpg/

46l is not enough for those cichlids. They might be dieing becaue the water is not correct. They need alkaline water, p.h 7.5-8.2 and hard water as well.

i think your tank is far to small for these fish. i could be wrong.

aeration in the water isnt important.. but surface agitation to aid air exchange is. the fluval edge has such a small hole it does not do this very well.

if this tank has only been running for 3 weeks then it's likely they are ill due to ammonia or nitirite poisoning.

I assume that you are not familiar with the cycling process for setting up new tanks? Please read through our beginners section and pay attention to the cycling topics - these will detail the process for you.

I also agree with the above. None of those fish are suitable for this size tank, but that isn't what is killing them.

As Zoddy said it could be the cycling and could also be the wayer conditions.

The water is between 7.5 - 8.0, i do plan on moving them to a larger tank once they grow a little, and yea the fluval edge does have a very small hole at the top :/ its been about 30 mins now since i posted. the red jewel has had a little swim around and gone back to laying on a rock. Thanks for the advice, i guess time will tell

The water is between 7.5 - 8.0, i do plan on moving them to a larger tank once they grow a little, and yea the fluval edge does have a very small hole at the top :/ its been about 30 mins now since i posted. the red jewel has had a little swim around and gone back to laying on a rock. Thanks for the advice, i guess time will tell

time will not tell - time will simply mean more damage and possibly death to the fish. Do you have a test kit to check for ammonia and nitrite? These are essential for new tanks. I would be doing an 80% water change immediately with dechlorinated water to dilute the poisons that you have in the water.

i done a water change today about 9 hours ago, i dont have testers just a ph tester. its 11pm at the moment but i will go get nitrite and ammonia testers tomorrow morning asap

How big a water change did you do ~9 hours ago? Anything less than 75% is not enough, the closer to 95% you can do the better (with the fish barely covered temporarily on the tank floor).

i did nowhere near 95, about 60-70%.... should i do a 50% water change now?

btw im on rain water, so i dont have any chlorine or other chemicals in the water. do i need to add anything to that?

i would try to move those cichlids on even if you get the water correct your tank is not big enough, 46l is only around 10 gallon ideal for a fry tank.

your problem may be due to using rainwater if you are living in a city or industrial area your rain water may be polluted and does rain water have a PH between 5-6, and will it lack the essential minerals.

okai, i just did a ph test on the water straight out of the tap, it is at PH 9.5 - 10.0 i just did a 70% water change and waited abit and ph tested it and it is PH 7.5 -8.0 the red jewel fish still seems to be dying :l well i dont know if it is or not but it sure doesnt look healthy :( my favorite fish.. the demasoni, yellow lab and bristle nose are fine as usual. i hope his doing better by morning

Most reactions

Back