Help! It's All Going Wrong

-SPB-

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've a problem with Algae (Pictures enclosed). What the hell shall i do. I've got sand substrate, but want to change back to gravel, can't get to grips with cleaning it, just seems messy all the time.

I'm using a yeast based CO2 unit, my readings are: CO2 24.6, PH 7.2, KH 12 degrees 232ppm.

Temps usually at 25.

101_0540.JPG

101_0543.JPG

101_0551.JPG

101_0555.JPG

101_0556.JPG

thanks in advance

It looks to me that you have blue green algae, a three day blackout is the easiest remedy. (bga is slimy and has a distinctive musty smell, it’s the green patches on the sand) Another problem is that you have a couple of non-aquatic plants, I am not sure about the fern but the purple edged plants are definitely not aquatic. Perhaps replace them with a few fast growing algae busters.

What would you suggest for algae busting plants. Got the fern and other plants from maidenhead aquatics, would've thought they were selling plants thatwere aquatic lol. Oh Well.

When you say a blackout, do you mean, covering the tank, and no CO2. Or jus no lihgting???

George Farmer has a sticky on algae above that describes the blackout and a good list of algae busters. For the thread algae a few amano shrimp if they are compatable with your fish might also be an idea. Sand is not so difficult to keep clean, if you move the 'hoover' over it to disturb the crud on it then syphon it off. JamesC has a good site on algae too, if you search for his posts he has a link. Most LFS seem to sell non-aquatic plants, maybe they hope we will come for new ones when they die, or maybe the staff dont know.

My website link is http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm. Looks like you have BGA and Diatoms. Both of these are fairly common in new setups. You will need to deal with the BGA now as it will just get worse.
Those two plants mentioned earlier are not aquatic plants and though they may survive a couple of months they will not benefit the tank in any way. If it were me I'd take them back to MA and make a bit of noise about them selling plants that should go in pots and not aquariums.

Fine sand is a right PITA I think and a nightmare to keep clean. Some people like it though. Fine gravels are good as far as inert substrates go, or you could get a nutrient rich substrate.

There's a good pinned plant thread and also some other very good pinned threads.

James

This is what i'm going to do, mainly because i've decided to switch back over to gravel, but it will also temporarily cure the algae problem. Empty the tank, give it a good clean, put some tetraplant complete substrate along the bottom then gravel over. Then fill the tank and start over. I've got a second tank so my fish and filter can go in there while i sort this out. This is gonna be a *****.

Most reactions

Back