Help identifying and removal?

kurtjs

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have two issues...a black almost fuzzy algae on one plant, and dark spots on some of a seperate plants leaves.

I fertilize very little with fluval grow+ once a week or bi weekly. Nut no other plant treatments are used. When I first got plants a while ago I did add root tabs.

I have attached photos.

Have had these plants for a while, started noticing the dark spots on the leaves first and then the fuzzy black on another plant after. They seem fine and are sprouting new leaves but I want to get ahead of it before it becomes a real issue.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230714_193112.jpg
    20230714_193112.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230714_193131.jpg
    20230714_193131.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230714_193221.jpg
    20230714_193221.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 25
I think it’s black beard algae. If it is there are a few ways to get rid of it. You can snip off the leaves and remove it that way to stop if from spreading. There are a few algae treatments you can get from API or aqueon, but I am not sure how effective it is. Another thing to do would be to get a nerite snail, they like to eat and they can only reproduce in brackish water so they won’t take over the tank. I would wait to do any of these things and see what others say because I could be wrong.

First is black brush algae, second not sure but it is algae.

Please, do not ever use any chemical to deal with algae. These will be issues for the fish, even if they might work. Algae is a plant, and anything that might kill it is very likely going to cause further plant harm.

Light and nutrients must be in balance for the needs of the plants, and no more. That thwarts problem algae. Tell us about the light--type, spectrum, duration. I do not know about the Fluval Plant-Gro+ but it might be OK. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium or Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti are good, they are prioperly balanced. The sword would benefit from a root tab, Flourish Tabs are about the best you can use as they do not leech into the upper water column to contribute to problem algae.

First is black brush algae, second not sure but it is algae.

Please, do not ever use any chemical to deal with algae. These will be issues for the fish, even if they might work. Algae is a plant, and anything that might kill it is very likely going to cause further plant harm.

Light and nutrients must be in balance for the needs of the plants, and no more. That thwarts problem algae. Tell us about the light--type, spectrum, duration. I do not know about the Fluval Plant-Gro+ but it might be OK. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium or Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti are good, they are prioperly balanced. The sword would benefit from a root tab, Flourish Tabs are about the best you can use as they do not leech into the upper water column to contribute to problem algae.
I'm not sure exactly what range my lights have with my lights. They are led though, white. I have the 20 gallon top fin kit. Worked well so far. I think I might leave lights on too long. Probably from 7am to 7pm.

The plants are all growing well. Especially the pkats with broader leaves.

I'm not sure exactly what range my lights have with my lights. They are led though, white. I have the 20 gallon top fin kit. Worked well so far. I think I might leave lights on too long. Probably from 7am to 7pm.

I read that seacem Flourish Exel is helpful for removal due to the Co2...ever heard?

That is a somewhat long photoperiod. Over a couple of years I worked the balance down on my tanks (8 in the fishroom) to7 hours. End of black brush algae which up to then I had dealt with every year since the 1990's. For two summers after working out the 7 hours, I noticed an increase in the black brush algae, and it was the increased duration and brightness of the daylight entering the room. I blacked out the windows, and that finished it. I wouldmove down to 8 hours. Use a timer so it is consistent. This is extremely important for fish, but plants too.

I read that seacem Flourish Exel is helpful for removal due to the Co2...ever heard?

Seachem are careful not to admit this, because it does not always work. But it is a risk I would never subject my fish too, no matter what. The ingredient in Excel and similar products (API CO2 Boost) is not carbon, it is glutaraldehyde. Look that up and see if you want to risk poisoning your fish. Yes, some do, but it is not necessary to begin with, and risking fish unnecessarily is not wise, I don't care who does it. It will kill some plants outright at the recommended dose, and it has the risk of killing plants, fish and bacteria. It makes as much sense as injecting bleach to kill covid.

Problem algae is caused by nature, so use nature to deal with it.

That is a somewhat long photoperiod. Over a couple of years I worked the balance down on my tanks (8 in the fishroom) to7 hours. End of black brush algae which up to then I had dealt with every year since the 1990's. For two summers after working out the 7 hours, I noticed an increase in the black brush algae, and it was the increased duration and brightness of the daylight entering the room. I blacked out the windows, and that finished it. I wouldmove down to 8 hours. Use a timer so it is consistent. This is extremely important for fish, but plants too.

Seachem are careful not to admit this, because it does not always work. But it is a risk I would never subject my fish too, no matter what. The ingredient in Excel and similar products (API CO2 Boost) is not carbon, it is glutaraldehyde. Look that up and see if you want to risk poisoning your fish. Yes, some do, but it is not necessary to begin with, and risking fish unnecessarily is not wise, I don't care who does it. It will kill some plants outright at the recommended dose, and it has the risk of killing plants, fish and bacteria. It makes as much sense as injecting bleach to kill covid.

Problem algae is caused by nature, so use nature to deal with it.
Thank! I'll give that a shot. I thought more light for the plants but 12 hours seems a lot now that I'm thinking. My idea was pretty much sunrise to sundown.

Would you gradually reduce the time? Like 1 hour at a time for a few weeks each?

Thank! I'll give that a shot. I thought more light for the plants but 12 hours seems a lot now that I'm thinking. My idea was pretty much sunrise to sundown.

Would you gradually reduce the time? Like 1 hour at a time for a few weeks each?

I would go down to 9 at least, given what I see. The aim is to stop it increasing, not "kill" it. If it does not increase, and on the plants, that is the goal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back