help...cycling tank with underground filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kris2005

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and I need advice. Just set up a new 3 gal tank ( I know that is very small) for a betta. Ive had other larger tanks before with the standard hanging filter...never dealt with an underground filter. Is the cycling process any different? Is the gravel substrate actually the filter media since there is no filter cartridge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now tank is up heaters running and filter is running of course no fish in the tank. Thank you for any help.

Is the cycling process any different?

No, not really.

Is the gravel substrate actually the filter media since there is no filter cartridge?

Yes. As ever, you're after surface area, and the area of the media may be huge for the volume taken, but you have far more gravel, so it's surface area is still pretty good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get a gravel cleaner for your syphon, UGF's deliberately attract all of the debris, so will need to be cleaned.

No, not really.

Yes. As ever, you're after surface area, and the area of the media may be huge for the volume taken, but you have far more gravel, so it's surface area is still pretty good.

Get a gravel cleaner for your syphon, UGF's deliberately attract all of the debris, so will need to be cleaned.

Thank you for answering my questions. I do have a gravel vac. Do you think I should add quick start? Does it really help it cycle?

If you are talking about adding API Quick Start, then that is filter bacteria in a bottle and can help speed the cycling process up. Just check the expiry date and don't buy any that is kept in a warm fish room or next to a fridge because the heat reduces shelf life. :)

If you are talking about adding API Quick Start, then that is filter bacteria in a bottle and can help speed the cycling process up. Just check the expiry date and don't buy any that is kept in a warm fish room or next to a fridge because the heat reduces shelf life. :)

Ok thank you

The best bottled bacteria products are Dr Tim's One & Only and Tetra Safe Start. Others may not contain the correct species of nitrite eating bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back