Help! Cory Feeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyworld

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just got three corys x2 sterbai and x1 julii, I have them in a tank with x8 assorted danios.
I feed my danios a variety of flake food and the aquarium store I got the corys from told me to feed them a spirulina tablet. This is the first time I have fed my corys since brining them home yesterday. I dropped the tablet in for them after feeding the flake to the danios and one of my zebra danios swam down and is stopping the corys from getting near it. When they come over and start to nibble he swims at them and pushes them away.
I'm worried they won't get any food. Is there anything I can do?

Spirulina tablet is sort of like an algae wafer, isn't it? That might be good to put in once a week to get some veggies in their diet but they mainly need protein. Shrimp pellets are good for this.

I'm not sure if it's correct or not but I feed each cory one shrimp pellet. By feeding more than one pellet I imagine the danio wouldn't be able to push them away from all of them so it should be good. You can also try feeding them closer to lights out so maybe the danios wont really notice the food but the corys certainly will.

What size tank is this? Corys should be kept in groups of 6+ and you have two different kinds. It may be best depending on your tank size to take one type back and get more of the other.

I feed King British Catfish pellets - about one per fish - high protein and u can scatter them in the tank so each fish has a chance. Danios are greedy though and would probably still be able to gulp a whole one down. I feed algae wafer occasionally too. You could also try feedign them just before lights out in the evening. I wouldn't worry at this point they are probably still quite timid being new additions to the tank. Oh and they love frozen bloodworm to or freeze dried tubifex, just add a weight strip like they use on plants to keep the tubifex chunk on the bottom of the tank - they will love it. Variety is key.

Ninjouzata said:
Spirulina tablet is sort of like an algae wafer, isn't it? That might be good to put in once a week to get some veggies in their diet but they mainly need protein. Shrimp pellets are good for this.

I'm not sure if it's correct or not but I feed each cory one shrimp pellet. By feeding more than one pellet I imagine the danio wouldn't be able to push them away from all of them so it should be good. You can also try feeding them closer to lights out so maybe the danios wont really notice the food but the corys certainly will.

What size tank is this? Corys should be kept in groups of 6+ and you have two different kinds. It may be best depending on your tank size to take one type back and get more of the other.

1: Yes, a spirulina tablet is like an algae wafer but they are a bit different.

2: I'll have to get some shrimp pellets, they were suggested to me as well as the spirulina tablets but I hadn't heard of them so I picked the spirulina tablets instead (oops
blush.png
). I'll also try later at night.

3: My tank is a 12g or 48L, I was told at the aquarium store that the two species would shoal together but they haven't at this point, all though I have only had them for two days. I am considering taking the Julii back for another Sterbai if they don't shoal together soon. I was thinking I would maybe let them settle for a week or two before deciding.
davidjp1982 said:
I feed King British Catfish pellets - about one per fish - high protein and u can scatter them in the tank so each fish has a chance. Danios are greedy though and would probably still be able to gulp a whole one down. I feed algae wafer occasionally too. You could also try feedign them just before lights out in the evening. I wouldn't worry at this point they are probably still quite timid being new additions to the tank. Oh and they love frozen bloodworm to or freeze dried tubifex, just add a weight strip like they use on plants to keep the tubifex chunk on the bottom of the tank - they will love it. Variety is key.
I think I will try multiple shrimp pellets scattered to see if that helps (its mostly just one danio that is the problem. It is quite big now, as I have had it for about three years).

I think they are quite timid as they are quite small and I hope they get used to shoving in at feeding time soon.

I have got some freeze dried blood worms/black worms to feed all my fish occasionally but I didn't buy a feed holder or anything. Do I need one? I usually just sprinkle it on top, although that might mean the danios will eat it all before the corys can. I also read something about corys liking zucchini, is this true?

The lfs said it wrong. They are not in the same complex of corydoras. They cannot school together and for the tank size Id say its too small a tank for fish such as danios. They need a 4 foot tank to be happy and for your cory numbers id say up them. only a group of 1 species will fit

The best stuff to feed corys if there are competitive fish around is sinking micro pellets. Hikari does them and many other brands. I feed mine with different NLS pellets. They quickly fall on the sand(if you place them in the water) and the corys are able to gobble them immediately when they find them. They are also better at finding them than surface feeding fish as they seem to just "sense" them.  With bigger wafers fish tend to bunch around them and only the more food aggressive ones win.

You can feed the corys all types of foods, from spirulina to algae wafers to more meaty stuff like shrimp pellets, to frozen bloodworms, etc...anything that easily falls. They'll appreciate the variety. They are omnivores which means they need a bit of everything.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back