HELP!! Barb died, FUNGAL question re: Bacteria

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gennifer

Reaction score
Okay...we were going to treat our pregnant tiger barb as she had fin rot on her tail (fungus). She died shortly after we dropped a tablet in (She was in BAD shape) and I've read the box, and it says to remove the carbon from our filter. I'm assuming so the carbon won't pull the medicine out of the water too fast, before the fish benefit from it?

My question is - since she died, should we still remove our filter? I'm concerned now if this medicine is going to hurt our friendly bacteria in our filter that we so desperately need? Have we done ourselves more harm than good now? We can't pull out our filter to save the bacteria, because we don't have any oxygenated water to put it in, so they'll die anyway...

Aaaahahhhhh!!!

Too much knowledge for my little brain, too many things I don't know about fish!

Please help - our whole tank might be in jepordy now. The box doesn't say if the medicine is compatible with our friendly bacteria. We bought the "Tank Buddies FUNGUS CLEAR" from the Jungle line of products.

~ Gennifer

:dunno:

It should say in the instructions if it slightly knocks your bacteria colony, leave the sponges alone in your filter, take tests, and maybe add some cycle to the tank if you have any that will speed things up again.

Hi Gennifer

If your filter is big enough - could you take part of the filter foam / wool out and leave some in and rotate them.

If you can - put the filter foam / wool you take out into some aquarium water in a separate container - I`ve found a unused food container with lid has worked and kept shaking it to mix air into the water, and rotated the media once a day.

Phil

Most reactions

Back