Help Advise

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

leegarn81

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a 200l fresh water tank. 3 gourumis. 3 red line barbs. 2 rainbows. 1 glass catfish. 1 pleco. 3 shrimp. 1 molly and bumnle bee catfish now in hospital tank. my tank is 13 months old. my question is myheater broke and the glass fell away the pleco got onto the element which burnt and killed him. As soon as i noticed i moved him from the tank and replaced heater with spare. the next afternoon a rainbow was dead. I water changed approx 15% . but my shark has been looking very unhappy and swimming differntly. ive had him about 15 months. I later noticed white spot all over the molly so i treated tank with anti white spot. after 4 days i changed about 20% water and added second dose of treatment. but the molly looked le it had a fungusy white spot so i added esha 2000 to the tank. a couple days later the shark has a slight flakey look to his skin and i found my bumblee bee catfish to be covered the same as the molly.Then i added the second dose of 2000. A bit conserned i had put to much chemicals in the tank i moved the molly and bumble bee to a hospital tank with the water. then done approx a 40% change on the big tank and have left it at that but my shark was not looking to clever this morning and was loosing some of his black colour. have i donre the right thing is there anything else i can do.

cheers guys

Hi there, The sharks do not belong in a small tank, They'll die due to stunted growth and I advise you remove the other one as well.

Also ARE YOU MIXING TREATMENTS? Please do not do this, It wont work and you'll have a bad time removing all the medical stuff. You can only use one at a time then remove it via large water change and carbon.

Have you got a decent test kit available in order to figure out what is going on in the tank in relation to your parameters?

There is obviously a reason why they are becoming ill and getting to the cause of the issue is vital. You can treat symptoms all you like but if you don't know why they are occurring then I doubt much will be achieved.

I agree with the above about the red line torpedo barbs, groups of 6 and a bigger tank. The rainbows need groups too, ideally no less than 6.

You can put carbon in the filter to remove the meds if you've overdosed.

I would do a very large water change and try that as a first resort as well as testing using a decent test kit.

cheers guys i done 40% ish change the night before last I can put fresh carbon back in the filter tonight. Do you think that will be ok for now. I have test kits nothing is reading abnormal at all and never has done i have always done weekely 10-15% changes and a filter clean every 4 weeks. ph is around 7. The molly was dead in the hospital tank this morning with some sort of fungus on her I have photos if you wouldnt mind looking. The trouble regarding size im not to sure where i could go with the fish really the shops really should give better advice before selling. My tank is 3,5 ft long i dknt know anyone with a bigger tank. I do only have the one shark in there though. the only fish in the tank showing problems is the shark all other fish dont show any signs of white spot or fungus
cheers guys

For anyone looking for help I diagnosed the problem as velvet which starts off looking like white spot but then turns into a white looking fungus. I think I possibly had white spot in there too. I slowley raised temp to 30 and slowley added aquarium salt to a levell off 1.002 as I have a pleco in the tank and they dont cope well with salt. I removed my shrimp and twig catfish to a seperate tank as they wont cope well with treatment and it is rare they will carry this disease. I had to keep the pleco in as he showed sighns of disease. also added a vevet away treatment at the same time as the heat and salt. I run the heat which stops the disease multiplying and salt that should kill it when the disease is free swimming for 10 days. The velvet away is a 6 day treatment. After the velvet away treatment I did water change but remembering to replace any salt I removed after 10 days slowley brought temp back down re placed carbon filter that I did remove prior to trearment. All fish are now healthy and looking good it was quite heavy on the shark it was thick on his fins but he has made a full revovery. Shrimp etc are now back in main tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back