hello

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

matthew110

Reaction score
Hi!

My name is Matthew, and I am in love with my fish! I currently have 4 Neon Tetras, 1 Glowlight Tetra, A Male Dwarf gourami, 2 Platys (One Male and one Female), and a White Body, Red-finned Rainbow Shark in a 60L tank. My sister has 3 goldfish in a 28L tank. I am new to the hobby, with getting my first tank for a Veintail Betta in January, which somehow my cat got into. I now have lids for both of my tanks. I currently have a pregnant Platy, with an unknown due date as she was pregnant when I bought her.

I hope to enjoy and learn much from this forum.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, Matthew :)

I hope you don't mind me mentioning that you (and your sister!) have a few stocking issues with your tanks that you're going to have to address in the near future, if you want your fish to live long, healthy and happy lives.

If you would like some help with that, we'd be more than happy to advise; would you mind posting the dimensions of your tank (some fish need more swimming room than others), as well as the pH and hardness of your water, if you know them?

Welcome to the forum, Matthew :)

I hope you don't mind me mentioning that you (and your sister!) have a few stocking issues with your tanks that you're going to have to address in the near future, if you want your fish to live long, healthy and happy lives.

If you would like some help with that, we'd be more than happy to advise; would you mind posting the dimensions of your tank (some fish need more swimming room than others), as well as the pH and hardness of your water, if you know them?

Yes, my pH is 7.4. Donā€™t know my hardness sorry, donā€™t know how to test for it. My dimensions are:
Width: 30cm
Height: 35cm
Depth: 60cm

Hi Matthew, and welcome!

Unfortunately, both you and your sister have tanks that are too small for the fish inside them.

Let's start with your sister. There are a lot of myths about goldfish. People think they can keep them in small tanks or bowls and if if they live a few months that was a success. This is just not true. A well kept goldfish will live for years, decades even, and they actually grow to be quite large. A goldfish that lives for a few months and dies small is not a success, it's a tragedy. It means the fish didn't even live to adulthood. Her tank is half the size of yours, and to be quite honest, even your tank is too small to keep goldfish in. They do best in ponds, rather than aquariums, but if a pond just isn't an option, she really should get a tank that is at least twice the size of your current tank, and that would be the bare minimum; larger would be even better. There is a belief that a goldfish will only grow as large as it's tank allows it to, and there is some truth to that, but that's a sure way to kill a goldfish. When a goldfish's environment is too small, it will stunt their growth, but their internal organs still keep growing, and eventually their organs outgrow their body, thus killing the fish. Which is why it's best to put the goldfish in a larger tank while they are still small, instead of waiting until they outgrow their tank. There is no such thing as a small-breed goldfish. When you see a pond with large Koi or large goldfish in it, those aren't some special breed that grows larger than aquarium goldfish, they are the same breed, they're just older.

As for your tank, you have a few fish that need to be in schools but aren't, and you have a space issue with your rainbow shark. The schooling fish are your Tetras. The Neon Tetras and the Glowlight Tetras need to each be in schools of at least 6. Tetras are a schooling fish, but they will only school with fish that look like them, meaning similar size and coloring, and you need at least 6 fish to create a school. Your Glowlight Tetra will not school with Neon Tetras, even if you bring the total of all tetras up to 6. You need 6 of each. Unfortunately, just having 6 Neons and 6 Glowlights would max out your tank. You would not be able to have any other fish in that tank besides those 2 schools of 6. Keeping fish of a schooling species without the numbers for a school is very stressful on the fish, and they may die from that stress. Especially if you only have one, like the Glowlight.

The Platys are not a schooling fish, but they are a social fish for sure. But there is a general rule with platys that you should keep 2 females for every 1 male. Like guppies, platys have a lot of energy, especially the males, and if the ratio isn't right, males could harass females to death. It's recommended to have 2 females for every 1 male to help spread out the male's attention, so no female is singled out. Yes, they will reproduce, but if you don't want them to reproduce, keeping other fish in the tank will solve that problem, as the fry will become food. Or, you could keep platys of all one gender.

Let's talk about this rainbow shark, though. They are such beautiful and neat fish! But they need space. They can grow up to 6 inches long (15 cm) and are very territorial. They like caves, a lot. A happy rainbow shark will have a cave, the area around the cave will be its territory, and it will defend that territory, chasing away any intruders it can see enter its territory from it's vantage point at the cave. A happy rainbow shark won't be seen very often, as it will be in its cave most of the time. Rainbow sharks are loners. If your rainbow shark is actively swimming with the other fish, it's not being social, it's trying to chase them out of his territory. Imagine a rainbow shark is an old hermit that stays in his house, and only comes out to yell at kids to get off his lawn. With rainbow sharks, tank size (liters) is important, but even more important is floor space. They need tanks with a large footprint. Go for a long tank, not a tall tank, and get something that is at least a meter wide, so there is enough floor space that the entire tank isn't its territory. Breaking up sight lines helps, too. So you could put your shark's cave on one side of the tank, then put some tall grass or driftwood in the middle, and the other side of the tank is where it will chase other fish to when they invade his space. I have been wanting to get a rainbow shark myself, but I don't have an appropriate tank for one. Rainbow sharks are a fish you plan a tank around, not a fish you just buy and throw into an existing tank.

I wish I had better news for you. :( Sometimes the facts can be hard to hear, though. f you upgrade your tank to something at least a meter wide, you could house your rainbow shark comfortably, as well as increase your tetras up to schooling numbers. Best of luck to you.

Thank you for such a good amount of advice!! I would love to upgrade my tank but sadly in New Zealand 120-220 Litre tanks can be around $1,000-$3,500 each! So I am not financially prepared to upgrade my tank. In the meantime, I can house my Albino Rainbow shark in a 100L tank that my friend currently doesnā€™t have any fish in. With my sisters tank, we have had 3 goldfish in it for 4 years, and they are all still alive today living a happy life. She recently has been considering a new tank as the tank is 5+ years old and found a nice 55 litre tank she could purchase. I do know about how neons and glow lights are schooling fish, but in my tank they seem to just cruise around alone and explore. I do have some money towardd a new aquarium so I just have to keep saving!
Thank you so much!

Oh I understand, tanks are expensive. I'm just happy you were receptive to advice. Some of what I said could be hard to hear. Again, welcome to the site. I hope you learn lots here. :)

Yes, moving your rainbow shark to your friend's empty 100 liter tank is a good idea. Will your friend let you keep the tank? Or will you have to take the shark to your friend's house? Maybe you can make an offer to buy the tank from him.

sadly in New Zealand 120-220 Litre tanks can be around $1,000-$3,500 each!
Its worth looking on eBay or your local equivalent of gumtree/craigslist etc. There are often real bargains to be found.

Sad to say lots of people buy tanks on a whim and give up quite quickly when all their fish die because they were given the wrong advice and don't bother doing any research by looking at sites like this - or paying any attention to the advice (good on you for doing both BTW).

Oh I understand, tanks are expensive. I'm just happy you were receptive to advice. Some of what I said could be hard to hear. Again, welcome to the site. I hope you learn lots here. :)

Yes, moving your rainbow shark to your friend's empty 100 liter tank is a good idea. Will your friend let you keep the tank? Or will you have to take the shark to your friend's house? Maybe you can make an offer to buy the tank from him.
Just called my friend to ask, sadly he just sold it yesterday for $650 :( Any ideas what I could do? I currently have a spare 9L tank which is currently empty.

Just called my friend to ask, sadly he just sold it yesterday for $650 :( Any ideas what I could do? I currently have a spare 9L tank which is currently empty.
Just leave the rainbow shark in the current tank with the other fish. He will be fine until you can save up and get a bigger tank.

When you do look for a bigger tank, try to get a double tier stand. This is simply a stand that can hold two fish tanks, one above the other. Then you can set up the new tank on the top shelf and keep your smaller tanks for the bottom shelf. And if you get another big tank further down the track, you can put that on the bottom where the smaller ones will be.

Just leave the rainbow shark in the current tank with the other fish. He will be fine until you can save up and get a bigger tank.

When you do look for a bigger tank, try to get a double tier stand. This is simply a stand that can hold two fish tanks, one above the other. Then you can set up the new tank on the top shelf and keep your smaller tanks for the bottom shelf. And if you get another big tank further down the track, you can put that on the bottom where the smaller ones will be.

Ok Thanks!

Thank you for such a good amount of advice!! I would love to upgrade my tank but sadly in New Zealand 120-220 Litre tanks can be around $1,000-$3,500 each!

Buddy, I hope you don't think I'm being too cheeky, but I think you need to look a bit harder. I've spent literally five minutes on Google, and I've already found a new 150l tank going for NZ$129 :)

Buddy, I hope you don't think I'm being too cheeky, but I think you need to look a bit harder. I've spent literally five minutes on Google, and I've already found a new 150l tank going for NZ$129 :)
Yes, I have seen that one from hollywood fish farm, but that is the tank itself, so I would have to buy the right Heater (up to $50 each) a filtration system for 150L which can get really expensive for a good quality, productive one (Iā€™ve seen filters for 200L tanks that cost $300) sufficient substrate and since I have a cat a lid is essential, so it all adds up, but for now I will start saving for a good tank, 150-200L I will try to aim for.

Yes, I have seen that one from hollywood fish farm, but that is the tank itself, so I would have to buy the right Heater (up to $50 each) a filtration system for 150L which can get really expensive for a good quality, productive one (Iā€™ve seen filters for 200L tanks that cost $300) sufficient substrate and since I have a cat a lid is essential, so it all adds up, but for now I will start saving for a good tank, 150-200L I will try to aim for.

Yes, we all know this hobby can get expensive. Nobody is telling you that you have to buy everything all at one time. But if you buy a piece at a time, that might be more do-able. The rainbow shark isn't going to outgrow his tank overnight, but in the long-term he will. I know how hard it can be to save up for a tank, a heater, a nice filter, substrate, decorations, etc... If you're trying to buy all of that at one time, you're going to have to save up a lot of money, and it's going to take you a long time, if ever. My recommendation is to just buy a piece at a time, as you can afford to. For example, buy a tank from the internet first, then wait a few weeks until you can afford a heater and filter, and buy that, then wait a few more weeks to buy gravel and decor. That's just an example, you can buy these things in whatever order works best for you.

I'd also point out that fish don't need to be glass tanks; that's just for out convenience, so we can look at them.

A good large, plastic storage box is just as good, from their point of view, and is a great, cheap option if you have fish that need more space, which your sister's goldfish really, really do; you might think they look healthy and 'happy', but they can't possibly be growing properly in such a small space.

As for filters, if you buy an air pump, you can run sponge filters of any size, and it works out much more cheaply than power filters. I used to make my own, air driven filters, out of coke bottles when I had no money :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back