Hello!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ann1976

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Ann. I think that this looks like a great Forum and decided to join. I've kept fish many years ago, but not too successfully. There wasn't all the information that there is today. I plan to keep a two gallon Heterandria Formosa tank and would love some suggestions. I'll save that for another thread. Thanks for allowing me to join.
Ann

We are usually very selective when it comes to new members! ;)

Welcome Ann.

If you are looking for suggestions, one suggestion I have for you is to increase the size of your tank if you can. A 2 gallon tank isn't really appropriate for fish, despite what the marketing would indicate. Shrimp would be ok in it, but that's about it.

I agree with the above statement, a 2 gallon tank cannot hold any bioload (practically). and no fish can be housed in it other than, as said, shrimp. Welcome though

I've got a question about this new tank my partner brought our daughter for her birthday, it's a plastic 14L tank! I know I know it's a small tank and I'm very reluctant to put anything in there at all and maybe just get a new tank! i totally understand that any fish is a no no as it's not fair as it's far to small! But is there anything that can go.into this tank? I read somewhere about shrimp... are they easy to look after?

We are usually very selective when it comes to new members! ;)

Welcome Ann.

If you are looking for suggestions, one suggestion I have for you is to increase the size of your tank if you can. A 2 gallon tank isn't really appropriate for fish, despite what the marketing would indicate. Shrimp would be ok in it, but that's about it.
Yall let me join ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've got a question about this new tank my partner brought our daughter for her birthday, it's a plastic 14L tank! I know I know it's a small tank and I'm very reluctant to put anything in there at all and maybe just get a new tank! i totally understand that any fish is a no no as it's not fair as it's far to small! But is there anything that can go.into this tank? I read somewhere about shrimp... are they easy to look after?

Yes and no.

In an established tank with the proper water chemistry for them, with a completed nitrogen cycle (please read the article on 'Cycling a Tank' under the "How To Tips" tab at the top of the screen), some species will be fairly easily looked after. Cherry Shrimp (of whatever color morph), for example, are some of the least demanding of the shrimp species, and will even breed quite readily as well.

However, if your water parameters are off, shrimp are predisposed to die. They are very susceptible to poor water conditions. And smaller tanks are harder to keep consistent water parameters.

Yall got be nice to us rookies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome. I have talked to other aquarists and have also read that Heterandria Formosa can be sustained successfully in even smaller tanks. Temperature fluctuations and water parameters must be sustained, but it is possible. They are hardy fish. Shrimp would not even do as well. I think that many people do not like nano tanks because some people do not keep them properly. I would. Having said that, I will use a five gallon. I am mobility challenged and cannot handle anything larger.

Last edited:
You are most correct... the biggest issue with a nanotank is keeping the water parameters in equilibrium. New aquarists tend to be less understanding of the dangers of lethargy in completing water changes, etc. If kept properly, the fish you have chosen would work, but only a pair of them, I'd say.
Please be certain to keep up proper maintenance and do not weary of it as it must be done on schedule because the decreased volume of water allows no forgiveness. Later tanks are far more forgiving, assuming they are not overstocked. Any tank when overstocked will hold no margin for error.

Only a pair would work in a five gallon tank? I though a. small school of males would be alright.
Ann

Last edited:
I thought we were still discussing 2 gallon...
Yes, a group of 5-7 males could work in a 5 gallon tank.

No,, I said that I would switch to a five. It's in one of my posts. . With two in a five gallon, I'd need a magnifying glass to see any fish. Lol
Ann

For those of you not familiar with the heterandria-formosa, it is also known as the least kilifish
It is typically found in Charleston, South Carolina and Palatka, Florida, U.S.A.

It’s usually found in the shallow, heavy with vegetation , marginal areas of still or fairly sluggish bodies of water, such as ditches. It may also be found in brackish waters in some areas.

The Male max's out at about 0.8″ or (2cm). While the Female may reach 1.4″ or (3.5cm).

A pair of these, should not be kept in a tank smaller than 12″ x 8″ x 8″ or 5.2 gallons.

A quite attractive little fish, and well worth anyones effort that either requires or simply enjoys a smaller, low stocked tank.

6O3aigs.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back