Hello! Please help - are the uv lights in my led lamp are bad for us?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hardrada

Reaction score
Hi

I used to keep fish when I was much younger, and then I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago.

I now have a 10 gallon tank with a few bronze line corydoras, a betta and a nerite horned snail.

I used to use a Twinstar 450 light and it was lovely, but it has no dimmer and no timer. So recently I bought a Micmol aqua air series 300 on impulse. It comes with a controller that allows me to adjust light intensity for sunrise, midday, sunset and night. What i just noted is - the led combination in this Micmol light includes two uv lights. I am not sure why these are necessary, and whether long term use will pose any issues to the fish or me. I emailed the manufacturer to ask, but have not received any response yet. I was going someone here would have some insight on the need for uv lights in a full spectrum aquarium led light, and whether they pose any risks.

Thank You!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180228-125859_68.jpg
    Screenshot_20180228-125859_68.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 112
All UV light can do damage. The product information does not state whether it is UVa or UVb but they are equally as bad to your eyes or skin. One penetrates further into water and skin than the other. However, they are low wattage LEDs so are not as bad as spending time out in the sun in the tropics.

They are unlikely to cause any problems to most fish as fish naturally live in the water and get plenty of sunlight. Albino fish and white fish will be more prone to cataracts and cancer caused by the UV light and these fish should not be kept under that light unit.

UV light does penetrate glass so if you are sitting next to the tank for an extended period of time you might get a tan or burnt.

If you spend a lot of time looking down onto your tank, some of the UV light can reflect off the water surface and cause sunburn. The same thing happens when at the beach or in the snow. The UV light reflects off the light coloured surface and you get sunburn.

Many corals actually look better under UV light and fish see colour better than people, and a lot of colours they see show up under UV light. Many birds see colours that show up under UV light too.

Don't look directly at the lights and you should be fine.

UV light does penetrate glass so if you are sitting next to the tank for an extended period of time you might get a tan or burnt.

You have proof of this?

yes I have been burnt by metal halides and they have UV light, and plenty of other people have been sunburnt by halides. Albeit they are usually higher than LED light units and much more intense but UV light does go through glass.

If by staring at the tank you got sunburn then your lights are way too bright and are damaging the fish also.

but UV light does go through glass.

That would depend on the UV spectrum and the glass. Some UV radiation is stopped by glass thats why most salt water coral tanks are better off without a glass lid.

All UV light can do damage. The product information does not state whether it is UVa or UVb but they are equally as bad to your eyes or skin. One penetrates further into water and skin than the other. However, they are low wattage LEDs so are not as bad as spending time out in the sun in the tropics.

They are unlikely to cause any problems to most fish as fish naturally live in the water and get plenty of sunlight. Albino fish and white fish will be more prone to cataracts and cancer caused by the UV light and these fish should not be kept under that light unit.

If you spend a lot of time looking down onto your tank, some of the UV light can reflect off the water surface and cause sunburn. The same thing happens when at the beach or in the snow. The UV light reflects off the light coloured surface and you get sunburn.

Many corals actually look better under UV light and fish see colour better than people, and a lot of colours they see show up under UV light. Many birds see colours that show up under UV light too.

Don't look directly at the lights and you should be fine.

Hey Colin

Thanx for the v detailed reply!

Glad to know I can continue using my new light!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back