Hello from Tasmania

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blanchedalmond

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my name's Steff.
Really happy to have found a place to read up on other people's experiences and learn from a great bunch.
Right now the only fish I keep are a group of 5 odessa barbs in an 130L/3 ft long planted tank, soon to be adding a few more but in Tas imports can be very hit and miss so patience is key.
In the works is a 180L/4ft long tank that's planted and cycling away (some confusing readings from this tank is what has brought me here with questions)
We have what I think is considered very soft water (2 degrees carbonate hardness and 3 degrees general hardness) and I look forward to turning the 4ft into a small community tank.
If you read all this way, thankyou😁

Welcome to TFF. Lots of knowledgeable members to answer any questions you may have.

Do you have any pets besides fish? If you do , we hope you enter your pet in our pet of the month contest.

You have some interesting freshwater fishes down in Tassy.
The galaxias are definitely curious little dudes, the wildlife here is what sparked my initial interest in aquariums so the restricted imports/ban on invertebrates is a small price to keep the islands ecology safe.

The galaxias are definitely curious little dudes, the wildlife here is what sparked my initial interest in aquariums so the restricted imports/ban on invertebrates is a small price to keep the islands ecology safe.
There should be glass shrimp down there that will live in aquariums. There's also freshwater crayfish including the biggest one on Earth, although your not allowed to keep those ones :(

There should be glass shrimp down there that will live in aquariums. There's also freshwater crayfish including the biggest one on Earth, although your not allowed to keep those ones :(
And the crayfish being bright blue would make it hard to pass as "I really thought it was a different species" 😅
Do you have any fish in your local area that you'd keep if it was legal/do keep because it is legal?

Welcome to TFF.
Tasmania is a beautiful place. I lived in the northwest between 2000 and 2003, and pretty much went to work there because of the hiking opportunities.
Didn’t keep any fish then, but found a crayfish once in front of Scott-Kilvert Hut, when it came out of its burrow during a downpour 🦞.

Welcome to TFF.
Tasmania is a beautiful place. I lived in the northwest between 2000 and 2003, and pretty much went to work there because of the hiking opportunities.
Didn’t keep any fish then, but found a crayfish once in front of Scott-Kilvert Hut, when it came out of its burrow during a downpour 🦞.
That sounds absolutely magical, well worth getting soaked the whole trip for how breathtaking those few moments are😊

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back