Hello Fish People !

mikeloupowell

Reaction score
Old man from northwest Ohio here. Won a little goldfish in a little bowl at a county fair when I was 10 back in 1970. Talked Mom & Dad into buying me a 10 gallon aquarium , a few snails, and a friend for the little guy. I've had aquariums off and on ( mostly on ) ever since. My current obsession is a 125 gallon "skittles" tank, as I've seen them called here. It's a six foot long aquarium. I am using 3 AquaClear 110 HOB filters. I've got about an inch and a half of fine, smooth, gravel substrate called Pearl River I believe. Lots of driftwood, lots of rocks, and heavily planted, Java Ferns only as It's the only one Iv'e not had eaten by the fish. It's been alive for a bit over three years now. I'm a big fan of the rock band "Rush" so I've deemed this my 2112 tank. Twenty-one fish, twelve species. Stock is 1 Whiptail Suckermouth, 1 Rubbernose Pleco, 1 Rainbow Shark, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Platinum Angel, 1 Firemouth Cichlid, 1 Striped Headstander, 1 Leopard Bushfish, 2 Blue Gularis Killifish, 3 Pictus Catfish, 3 Polka Dot Loaches, and 5 Silver Dollars. All fish are around six inches in length. Temp is 76 degrees and I do a 20% water change every Sunday. For about a year now I've had an itch to start another tank, African Cichlids! I keep putting it off hoping the itch will go away but it has not. I'm concerned that this may be an addition and if i get another tank then I will think, well why not a Discus tank, and a fancy guppy tank, and well what about Saltwater ! Do you think I will be good with one more tank , and it won't turn into several more, or should I try to stick with the one I have ? Anyone else have these same dang itches ?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You have MTS (multiple tank syndrome). It's a common and highly contagious disorder most often found among people that keep fish and visit petshops.

There is no cure for MTS but some people find setting up a fish room with 200 tanks can help. :)

Thank you Colin, I fell better just knowing there is a name for it. I think I will look for a support group for people with MTS. For now I will stick with the tank I have.

Though a fish room with 200 tanks sounds like a wonderful dream!

Well if you need a support group for MTS, you are in the right place. Most of the people here have it even if they don't admit it :)

200 tanks is a pita to clean :)

Most reactions

Back