Hello everyone!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pinkpufferfish

Reaction score
What's funny is I was looking for a nice forum like this. By sheer miracle I came across this one, and noticed that everyone was pretty much helpful and gave as much advice as they could -- which I like! I am glad to be apart of such a nice forum, here goes my story:

My name's Sharon and I love fish. In July it'll be a year that I have been in the fish aquarium hobby. I have went from a 1 gallon tank with goldfish -- to a 5 gallon tank with African Cichlids -- to now a 20 something gallon tank with a yellow lab, Pufferfish, and 2 clown fish, and the oldest living inhabitants who have withstood my moving them from tank to tank, the ups and downs of not having a heater, my rather HUGE algae eaters. I mean these guys were babies when I got them, now they are as big as my hand. Amazing! Maybe I was doing something right, eh? Anyway, it's nice to find this site.

Welcome Sharon, I have found this forum very helpful and I am fairly new here too. I started the hobby 15 years ago. I started with 10 gal and moved quickly to 20,30,& 55 gal tanks :lol: I took about ten years off and have taken the plunge again. I learned from my first go at it and started with a 55 gal cause I knew I would progress there eventually. I have heard it said in this forum that there is no such thing as a stupid question, And everyone here tries to give good advice without making you feel foolish. There is also alot of good info in the pinned areas of each category in the forum. Enjoy. Owen

Welcome Sharon. There are indeed a lot of very knowledgable people here. You mentioned you had 2 clown fish and a huge algae eater. Are the clown fish Clown Loachs (orange with black stripes around body)? Also I assume the algae eater is probably a common pleco. The clown loaches will grow to 12" and the pleco will grow to 18" to 24". You really need a much bigger tank for all 3 of those fish very soon. The pleco probably needs to be in at least a 75 gallon tank. And the loaches probably need 55 gallons.

rdd1952 said:
Welcome Sharon. There are indeed a lot of very knowledgable people here. You mentioned you had 2 clown fish and a huge algae eater. Are the clown fish Clown Loachs (orange with black stripes around body)? Also I assume the algae eater is probably a common pleco. The clown loaches will grow to 12" and the pleco will grow to 18" to 24". You really need a much bigger tank for all 3 of those fish very soon. The pleco probably needs to be in at least a 75 gallon tank. And the loaches probably need 55 gallons.

Thanks for the welcomes!

I know that a 20 gallon is still not big enough, and I am currently working on getting a bigger tank. It's difficult to have a tank at all since my landlord forbids them, but he's been nice enough to allow me to have one as long as they are in a sturdy area, etc.. Yes I do have clown loaches, who are rather small right now, but you're right they will grow. My plecos have been growing despite the size of their tank, and I'll expect they'll continue to grow. So even though I am extremely proud of my 20 gallon and up tank, I know I need to start shopping for a even bigger one soon.

Hi Sharon,
I too am only new to this forum and it has been fantastic help.
I started off with one 3 foot tank and I also did some pretty stupid things in the beginning I think we all have at one time or another.
I now have eight tanks and I'm hooked (no pun intended) .It started when I got up one morning to find I had 36 Mollies instead of the six I fed the night before. I was beside myself and it progressed from there. I now supply four local aquariums and heaps of friends one of them being mentally challenged ( his father said the change in him has been fantastic - which is great)
I mainly have livebearers but also enjoy my Guarmies,(large, Dwarf, & kissing) angles, bumble bees, knifefish, catfish, silver dollars & tetras.
I hope you get as much enjoyment from this forum and your fish as I do.
Regards Maddie :kana:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back